Subwoofer solution in Superb iV (hybrid) with Canton

Hi everyone,

when you own a Superb iV MJ 20 and above and have Canton as option, you may have discovered that it is not quite the best sound system around.

The basic problem with this system is that the new designed sub for hybrid is not correctly fitted into the sound setting,

Don't know exactly the reason where the error happened, but the sub setting is shifted in phase so it cancels out the bass between 40 and 50 Hz.  (picture 3)

Skoda/Canton is not aware of the problem and is not interested. Tried several times. No chance.

A solution is to reverse the polarity of the subwoofer connector. The outer and the inner pair of wires have to change the places like this

1 2 3 4

| | | |

4 3 2 1

I made some adapters for plug and play usage, but you can do the switch by opening the connector and exchange the position of the wires. The other solution is to remove the "noses" on the connector and plug it turned upside down.

After this modify the settings like in last 2 pictures, and enjoy the sound. Before changing the EQ choose preset "Classic" and turn surround completely off.

Best bass performance is achieved when setting focus to driver and fader moved to the front and one click to the right.

PS: this solition is working already in >60 cars up to newest production 02/22 estate and limousine, so yes, your car is affected and yes, it will improve the sound a lot.

PPS: if interested in a plug n play connector - please PM. Unfortunately international shipping (from Germany) is quite expensive.

PPPS: this is definitely not a solution for non hybrid versions

IMG_20210117_214615.jpg

IMG_20210329_234218.jpg

upload_2021-1-25_10-47-42.png

Screenshot 2021-03-04 231929.png

received_243571277835105.jpeg

received_609551473815684.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Kiss 1

Hello

Thanks for this - Pleased you have confirmed how bad it is but even better that you found a fix!

How easy is this for me to attempt considering I have very little knowledge of wiring or electronics?

Thanks
Rich

Hey Rich,

plug and play solution  - 2 minutes, no effort, no risk, fully reversible.

chopping off the noses  - 10 minutes, some effort, risk of cutting your fingers :D

opening the connector and reverse the order of the wires - with proper tool - 10 minutes, without - 1 hour of trying with needle. risk of messing it up with the order. but doable.

No need to know anything in electronics. Just follow the scheme.

• Like 1

is 5 band equalizer standard just for 10" Columbus?

mine current 8" 2016 Columbus has just 3 bands + sub 😞

asking cause next Superb 280ps has been ordered with 8" Amundsen,
Columbus were skipped cause extra €900 in price and missing physical rotary volume control
what else i can lose:
smaller screen - not critical
audio/video playback - never used in current Columbus, all played from smartphone
???
??
?

Never fails to amuse me when people moan about the factory fitted ICE in cars in the last 20-odd years. You’re travelling in a small metal box with huge amount of external noise and terrible acoustics. Then the speakers themselves are tiny, have no enclosures, no porting, have poor crossovers and there’s an expectation it’ll sound like a home HiFi, which is ridiculous. Personally, I think the sound of the Canton system in our 280 is probably the best I’ve had in any vehicle. 

• Love it! 1

thank you for your honest opinion. 

personally I'm amused, that in every discussion about sound in a car there is always at least one person who tells everybody that this is impossible, or not nesessary at all. 

at the moment there is a car hifi competition finals in Salzburg, Austria. you wouldn't believe how incredible the cars sound which are competing there. 

however, this topic is not about high end installation but fixing a bug the Canton OEM system has from the beginning so it sounds incredibly bad for a premium product you extra pay for.

• Like 3

I'll remind, that this topic covers Canton sound quality for Hybrid models (Sub on the floor).

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/478963-superb-iv-lk-without-subwoofer/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-5520542

Regular models have different Sub setup.

Edited by Paikesejanku
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, spacelord said:

thank you for your honest opinion. 

personally I'm amused, that in every discussion about sound in a car there is always at least one person who tells everybody that this is impossible, or not nesessary at all. 

at the moment there is a car hifi competition finals in Salzburg, Austria. you wouldn't believe how incredible the cars sound which are competing there. 

however, this topic is not about high end installation but fixing a bug the Canton OEM system has from the beginning so it sounds incredibly bad for a premium product you extra pay for.

No, what this discussion is about people believing in snake oil and that by reversing the phase of a subwoofer makes an “improvement” in sound. It’s nonsense. Do you really believe that VW / Canyon would incorrectly phase a speaker. As for the competition you mention, the importance is that they produce sound which is LOUD, LOUDER, LOUDEST!! Having 10,000 watts and 116db of bass is not HiFi and I recall they need to have their doors / boots open to compete. So true to life. It’s completely pointless and ridiculous. 

• Groan 1

4 minutes ago, numskull said:

No, what this discussion is about people believing in snake oil and that by reversing the phase of a subwoofer makes an “improvement” in sound. It’s nonsense. Do you really believe that VW / Canyon would incorrectly phase a speaker.

i don't believe it. I know. 

PS: there is a competition like DB drag. and there is something like sound quality  https://www.emmanet.info/categories-and-classes/sound-quality/

• Like 1

On 29/04/2022 at 20:29, spacelord said:

i don't believe it. I know. 

PS: there is a competition like DB drag. and there is something like sound quality  https://www.emmanet.info/categories-and-classes/sound-quality/

People will not realise until they have sat in a good SQ car and then have something to reference against. It is not their fault as they do not know and more importantly probably do not care. But the day they hear it with some music they enjoy they will be blown away and realise it is not just about loud volume and bass.

• Like 1

so true

however, for me my car is the place I enjoy my music as loud as I want without disturbing the neighbours,

and this with highest possible quality. 

this is why I currently invest a lot into a new 8 channel DSP and amp and upgrade the Canton to a much higher level.

• Like 1

How is your car for rattles and squeaks? I was considering getting a Skoda Superb but I am put off from hearing about the noises. I currently have a Fabia that is terrible for noise (although fully soundproofed). I bought it for a run around whilst I am looking for the right Audi A8 but then started considering getting a Superb but I have read the noises are everywhere. After coming from my previous A8 I am very picky.

no rattles or squeaks, but I already fully soundproofed the doors, the luggage compartnent, the bonnet and the wheel arches.

without this Superb is definitely one of the louder cars in segment

IMG_20201231_162238.jpg

IMG_20201231_151209.jpg

• Like 2

@Cocain less for rattles etc but many will have stories of unusual noises. For me and as spacelord mentions it was the overall roadnoise inside the cabin that surprised me. ( And that was after a 57 reg Mondeo) 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, missed this!

The modified cable arrived and fitted to the sub without any problems

I'm sorry to shoot down the hardened pro know-it-alls and sound engineers on here but this simple modification has made an unbelieveable difference to the Canton system.

I was speculative but happy to try - I've had the car from new since 2020 and my greatest disapointment with the whole car was the lack of bass from a factory fitted sub and premium system (knowing what my Dynaudio system was like in my VW Gold estate).

The crossover is perfect and the low volume frequency is now warm and fills the car where before there was nothing. Louder LOUDER LOUDEST volumes are exceptional and well balanced and distortion free. It's not about being loud and blasting, just refined and as it should be.

Sorry to say to the doubters but I am delighted with my modification and I can highly recommend and thank @spacelordfor their findings witjh this 

Worth a punt if you've got this model and system and you enjoy good audio and certainly only worth shouting about if you can hear it first hand!

Case closed, very happy Canton modifcication - thanks @spacelord

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

I also took a punt and, while I'm not as blown away as Richmix, there is a definite improvement in the overall sound quality.  The sound is richer and warmer, with more detail across the sound spectrum.  Thanks to @spacelord for the discovery and advice.

• Thanks 1

I realized that you guys sit on the wrong side 😅🤭for that reason the fader hast to be put a tick more to the left instead of to the right, as in my screenshot in the original posting.

On 28/04/2022 at 16:30, spacelord said:

Best bass performance is achieved when setting focus to driver and fader moved to the front and one click to the right.

received_609551473815684.jpeg