Actual MPG Calculated

Fill up, drive 100 miles ish, fill up, then do your maths.

Sample size is still to small, you want to do a full tanks worth minimum and then ideally average it over several to get an accurate figure. In your case a small fill variation such as uneven forecourt or an airlock gives a big difference in the final figure, my way that difference is reduced by 75-80% working on 4-500 mile tank ranges.

Jesus, how tight are we all....

It's a prerequisite of Fabia VRS Mk1 ownership my friend, that underlying tightness. I gift you honorary Jockness :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The worst part is I was born in one of the two places in Scotland renowned for their tightness, Paisley. The other being Aberdeen (for those with undying curiosity).

Edited by Coffin Dodger

That begs the question then - why buy a VRS?

At a guess torque is more important than outright economy to him, would you prefer to drive about in a Aygo? Toyota gave me one for a while, I was glad to give it back!

In which case an Impreza would be the way forward?

If my daily commute was not the 80 miles that if is and my mpg figure bring as important as it is, a VRS would be way, way down the list!

In which case an Impreza would be the way forward?

If my daily commute was not the 80 miles that if is and my mpg figure bring as important as it is, a VRS would be way, way down the list!

Then you've made the mistake of falling victim to marketing. Mpg is irrelevant as a measurement of actual cost per mile, it measures miles and distance, nothing more.

For example I do 97 miles a day, my fabia (petrol) returns 41.x mpg over the last 24k, my bike (petrol) does 66.x mpg over the last 12k and my previous car did 52mpg (petrol) over 39?k, what do you think is the cheapest to run?

I'll give you a clue, the answer has nothing to do with mpg. The fabia is cheaper per mile to run than the bike despite the 25mpg difference and the roadster (52mpg) is by far and away the most expensive, the insurance was cheaper (even with a page and a half of declared modifications), the road tax was cheaper, the mpg was better so how can that be? Reliability. Parts cost (even at trade) weren't cheap. Non of those costs include purchase price or depreciation.

Now over time the bike should win eventually, but it'll take years.

Edited by Avalon

Then you've made the mistake of falling victim to marketing. Mpg is irrelevant as a measurement of actual cost per mile, it measures miles and distance, nothing more.

For example I do 97 miles a day, my fabia (petrol) returns 41.x mpg over the last 24k, my bike (petrol) does 66.x mpg over the last 12k and my previous car did 52mpg (petrol) over 39?k, what do you think is the cheapest to run?

I'll give you a clue, the answer has nothing to do with mpg. The fabia is cheaper per mile to run than the bike despite the 25mpg difference and the roadster (52mpg) is by far and away the most expensive, the insurance was cheaper (even with a page and a half of declared modifications), the road tax was cheaper, the mpg was better so how can that be? Reliability. Parts cost (even at trade) weren't cheap. Non of those costs include purchase price or depreciation.

Now over time the bike should win eventually, but it'll take years.

I've not fallen victim to any marketing. The fabia has done 188k (160k by me and the wife) miles with servicing every 15k. Beyond consumables the only thing to have gone wrong is the steering rack and the radiator.

Working on today's prices based on 48mpg it would have cost me £20,305 in diesel whereas if i had your petrol Fabia it would have cost me £22,885. There is no way in hell my the servicing over the years has cost me £2580 so i would only be a victim of stupidity if i had opted for a petrol. Just as an aside - the reason behind the VRS purchase was to have some get up and go which a petrol Fabia simply doesn't have.