SE Octy estate on either 16" or 17" wheels?

This week I am ordering the new SE estate having lived with the vrs CR for the last 3 years. I have loved the car although wife and kids were never keen on ride comfort. I've just test driven a 2.0 diesel saloon on 17" wheels and standard suspension. Generally I really liked it, although was conscious of a slightly jittery ride which is what I was trying to avoid. It's wasn't a deal breaker as such, but the dealer didn't have a demonstrator with standard 16" wheels to compare. Has anyone compared the two? Also noticed perhaps a bit more vibration from the diesel unit than I was expecting. Again, not a deal breaker, but any thoughts on that would be really helpful. I cover 25,000 miles a year, so I've finally decided I need to factor in more comfort! Thanks guys.

I only saw my first octavia close up today at AC in inverness, so have not driven one yet. I would probably base my wheeel choice on the roads in the area you live and work in. some areas roads are not to bad, so the 17's would be ok, then other areas roads are full of cracks and pot holes, so the 16's would be better. But then again the estate body might just be a bit to big and bulky for the 16's and make the car look ugly. Im also looking at the cr150 to replace my cr vrs diesel, will hold out a bit to see what the new vrs looks like.

I have a vrs mate and the ride comfort is bloody awfull carnt wait to get rid................

I fancy the new octy think it will be an se or elegance but given the choice give me comfort and 16 inch wheels

• Like 1

I don't think you need to worry about the ride on 17" wheels - these come standard on the Elegance and I've not heard any complaints about the ride quality. Certainly based on my 2 hour drive on all sorts of roads the ride was fine. Her indoors is particularly sensitive to ride quality and she was equally impressed.

Ironically I actually prefer the style of the 17" Denom alloys over the rather fussy multi-spoke 17" Terons that come as standard on the Elegance.

I don't think you need to worry about the ride on 17" wheels - these come standard on the Elegance and I've not heard any complaints about the ride quality. Certainly based on my 2 hour drive on all sorts of roads the ride was fine. Her indoors is particularly sensitive to ride quality and she was equally impressed.

Ironically I actually prefer the style of the 17" Denom alloys over the rather fussy multi-spoke 17" Terons that come as standard on the Elegance.

Same here, I prefer the SE's optional 17" to my standard Terons.

Thanks everyone. It could well have been that the Dealers tyres were slightly over inflated (I've seen that mentioned here too, Stokey it was you I think!). The quality is obviously improved all round on the new model and it's going to be a massive success I'm sure for Skoda. To all that have a vrs diesel, the new 2.0 Octavia is the obvious choice to restore the comfort balance. The 1.4 petrol looks very tempting though. I just need to do the maths to work out which is cheaper to run. Dual mass flywheels, DPFs etc are all expensive compared to petrol running costs in the long run. Also, I really hope that some of the other gripes (such as dodgy air con compressors - yes mine failed just outside of warranty too) have been sorted now. I still love them though!