Honest John

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/our-cars/skoda-rapid/rapid-by-name-skoda-by-nature/

Always been rather skeptical about the honestjohn website personally, for both my Fiesta and Fabia (and cars my dad's owned the past few years) a lot of the stuff they say about cars seems to bear no resemblance to my experience .... however .... their photographer has just gotten a Rapid to run around in, going to be interesting to pop back here periodically to see what he's writing about it....

• Like 1

The description says mileage covered 1032 miles.

The photo shows 8574 miles .That's some going in just over 1 months ownership.

Did they get a "well used" demo?

No wonder they're getting 75 mpg,it must be well "run in"... :giggle:

• 2 weeks later...

Just found a long term review on motortorque.com via newsnow (never heard of this site before if I'm honest)

Part One

Part Two

Part Three

Part Four

Got to say, it's not the most informative review I've ever read but it does read clearly that they are reviewing it for exactly what it is: A spacious, practical, no frills car. As a result of the initial inbound expectations (they knew before hand it's no pocket-rocket despite the model name), the review is generally positive.

We have been really impressed by Skoda's Rapid and we will certainly miss it when it returns to Skoda at the end of June.

• 2 weeks later...

The whatcar one is making me laugh. Apparently the very first thing his first passenger did was to run their hands over the plastics - likely? I've never met anyone who does that, and if I did I'd ask them to get out of my car immediately as I'd be concerned about them being one of those weirdos who "make love" to cars.

Anyway, honest john have updated theirs again, I agree on the point about the drivers window being auto-down but not auto-up, it's a bit of a bummer. I'm not sure how he's managing to get confused with the locks though, it's pretty simple - on your own? press unlock once, someone coming in the car with you? press it twice. Easy.  :bandit:

• Like 2

The whatcar one is making me laugh. Apparently the very first thing his first passenger did was to run their hands over the plastics - likely? I've never met anyone who does that, and if I did I'd ask them to get out of my car immediately as I'd be concerned about them being one of those weirdos who "make love" to cars.

Anyway, honest john have updated theirs again, I agree on the point about the drivers window being auto-down but not auto-up, it's a bit of a bummer. I'm not sure how he's managing to get confused with the locks though, it's pretty simple - on your own? press unlock once, someone coming in the car with you? press it twice. Easy.  :bandit:

Whatcar - what a heap of middle-class tosh! Just because it's not like the Audi A8 (or whatever) he drove last. And that name.... Barnaby.... 'Me and Barnaby are playing polo with the duke on Saturday'.... ugh

Anyway, the Honest John bloke definitely has a point about the windows. The locks were confusing for the first day or two, but they actually make a lot of sense in the end.

I do keep forgetting to open the doors to let passengers in, as of course they auto-lock when you drive, which I really like because at work in the wagons, or in the Felicia, I kept the doors locked through town all the time anyway.

Also... just leave the petrol cap unlocked all the time. There really is no need whatsoever to lock it.

Whatcar - what a heap of middle-class tosh! Just because it's not like the Audi A8 (or whatever) he drove last. And that name.... Barnaby.... 'Me and Barnaby are playing polo with the duke on Saturday'.... ugh

:rofl: - I find myself disagreeing with the whatcar mob quite a lot, I remember when I was very seriously looking at (and was on the brink of doing it) changing my old Fiesta for a brand new Alfa Mito (I also didn't care much about financial sense at the time either :giggle:) I was of course reading all the reviews I could find - their review said that rear passenger leg room was "cramped", yet when I did a test drive I found it to be significantly better than my Fiesta  :wonder: 

Anyway, the Honest John bloke definitely has a point about the windows. The locks were confusing for the first day or two, but they actually make a lot of sense in the end.

Personally I'm not entirely sure why VAG group have chosen to do it at all if I'm honest, but it doesn't really bother me either. Would I design unlocking the drivers door only feature in to something I was writing? Nope. Does it bother or confuse me that it does it? Nope.

I do keep forgetting to open the doors to let passengers in, as of course they auto-lock when you drive, which I really like because at work in the wagons, or in the Felicia, I kept the doors locked through town all the time anyway.

Yep. The doors automatically locking above a certain speed I do like. Nice feature.

Also... just leave the petrol cap unlocked all the time. There really is no need whatsoever to lock it.

Ah, now I live in shall we say "a less affluent area", and I wouldn't dream of leaving my petrol cap unlocked! In fact I'm also thinking I should probably move the ice scraper from the filler cap cover as well, it's only a matter of time before the local a***wipe teenagers become aware of it and steal it just for the sake of stealing it. Not exactly an expensive item to replace, but it would be annoying.

I can't imagine there are many cars in this price bracket which aren't "a bit plasticky" as that's what car interiors tend to be made of.

Can't say I've found road noise to be a problem, even with the 17s.

Can't comment on the standard seats but the sports seats are very nice.

• 3 weeks later...

Seems like the folk at Diesel Car and Motortorque both love the car, they seem to accept it for what it is rather than comparing to car costing 3 pr 4 times as much. If you compare any car to one costing so much more then you are bound to dislike it.

What Car magazine don't seem to be impressed with theirs (1.2 TSI 86 SE), quite a lot of criticism in the latest updates....

On the road, the fussy ride veers, depending on speed and road surface, between annoying and appalling, and the vague steering, limited roadholding and mushy handling are enough to deter even moderately spirited driving. Thrust it down a motorway in a crosswind, and it grows noticeably unstable. Ask it for acceleration from low revs, and you’ll be hanging on for a reply for a very long time.

Add to that too much road noise, a tacky interior and an air-con system that felt like being breathed on by a gnat (on a hot day it wasn’t only the handling that was soggy), and I’m at a loss to explain how a firm that produces such a fabulous all-rounder as the new Octavia can also produce this.

The problem is the Rapid feels curiously out of date already; certainly its ride and handling feel like that of a car from 30 years ago. I’m quite sure there are better ways to spend £14,500 too, and, though that enormous boot could prove useful on a long family holiday, so poor is everything else that I think I’d rather go by train.

Harsh!

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/our-cars-skoda-rapid/266076

Personally my problem with the Rapid is around town the ride is somewhat noisy and unpleasant (on 17in alloys w/ Dunlop tyres) and whilst it quietens down on the motorway the seats are too uncomfortable for longer journeys. The overall NVH is poor and that's the cars biggest issue. 

It is interesting that what car's long term review is markedly different to any of the others in progress, however since the guy spoke about having to drop in to first gear to 'maintain momentum' up hills (what on *earth* is he driving up?) I've found myself taking what he says with a large dose of salt.

The stuff he's talking about doesn't seem to tally with my everyday experiences with the car at all.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

I've never quite trusted Whatcar, they often print factual errors and incorrect photos too.

The car he's reviewing doesn't sound anything like the experience I have of mine. I almost think he is sabotaging it on purpose.

I have emailed Whatcar to share my views:

"Dear Mark,

Having read your recent long term review of the Skoda Rapid, you rantings sound more like those of an internet troll than a professional journalist.

I own one of these (admittedly with most of the options list thrown at it which makes it a much nicer but also more expensive car) and whilst I wouldn’t say it’s he most dynamically polished or luxurious interior I find it comfortable, spacious, economical and reasonably refined. Sure the ride can be a little jiggly on rippled surfaces but your over the top comments make it sound like some old jalopy. Overall I would say it is a much better car than the Roomster which I replaced it with and which Whatcar still give 3 stars.

As for the comment “acceleration from low revs....you’ll be hanging on for a reply for a very long time.” I can only conclude that you don’t know how to drive a modern petrol engined turbo car as full and generous torque (for a 1.2) is available from 1500rpm.

Anyhow, I thought I would share my ownership experiences of the last 3000 miles with you. I can only conclude you have some agenda to peddle after reading your article..."
  • Like 2

I have emailed Whatcar to share my views:

"Dear Mark,

Having read your recent long term review of the Skoda Rapid, you rantings sound more like those of an internet troll than a professional journalist.

I own one of these (admittedly with most of the options list thrown at it which makes it a much nicer but also more expensive car) and whilst I wouldn’t say it’s he most dynamically polished or luxurious interior I find it comfortable, spacious, economical and reasonably refined. Sure the ride can be a little jiggly on rippled surfaces but your over the top comments make it sound like some old jalopy. Overall I would say it is a much better car than the Roomster which I replaced it with and which Whatcar still give 3 stars.

As for the comment “acceleration from low revs....you’ll be hanging on for a reply for a very long time.” I can only conclude that you don’t know how to drive a modern petrol engined turbo car as full and generous torque (for a 1.2) is available from 1500rpm.

Anyhow, I thought I would share my ownership experiences of the last 3000 miles with you. I can only conclude you have some agenda to peddle after reading your article..."

Will be interesting to see if you get any sort of reply?

My experience with the Rapid is completely opposite to Whatcar review.

The ride is good, steering is also good, must admit that it might be too much power steering for some, eg, steering is not heavy.

Drove it in a crosswind, didn't notice any issues.

Acceleration from low revs, yes, if you floor at it 1000rpm, it won't accelerate quickly. This is to be expected, since you drive in 5th gear at 60kph in order to save fuel. If you want to accelerate, downshift it.

Road noise - not a problem for me, it's actually quiet compared to our previous car. Drove my dad yesterday in it and he also commented how it's so quiet.

Air-con is great, we had a heatwave, the dashboard displayed 40°C while we were driving in the sun. The air-con kept us nice and cool.

Feels out of date - feels like a big VW Polo :) not out of date

Ride and Handling of a car from 30 years ago?? Not even, a typical cheap car from the end of the 80s handles like crap, you can't even compare it to the Rapid.

I agree that the review is biased (the journalist is getting paid by another car company to write this).

I admit that the Rapid is not the best car out there, of course an Audi or Mercedes will be better, but in this price range it's quite good.

Yeah WhatCar are been overly critical, will be interesting to hear if they reply to RapidRonnie's email. They seem to love the Polo which as we know isn't mechanically a million miles away from the rapid so it certainly seems like unjustified criticism. I'll stand by what I said about the road noise been too loud though (for the 105 TSI on 17s with Dunlop tyres)