ABS Warning light on dash

Hi there. Recently there is an ABS/traction control light that has illuminated on the dash of my Octavia 1.9tdi and the anti skid light has come on (just above the ashtray.) My mate plugged in his diagnostic to the car and it has come up with the following code....ABS Wheel Speed Sensor:Rear Left (G46) "sporadic" 00290 and then I think there was another one 003Failure (mechanical.)

I apologise if this subject has been covered before, but can anyone tell me what this means....is it the whole hub that has to be replaced or is it some kind of sensor somewhere else. Any advice would be much appreciated.Thanks.

Sporadic failure signal from a rear ABS sensor can have its cause in a bad wheel bearing. Do you get any whining or so noise from the rear (test with radio and ventilation of on a road with good surface and a few bends)?

Could be a rotten sensor ring on the hub. Quite common especially on rear left.

The ring rots and breaks breaks up giving the error. Ring is not replaceable on it's own and you need to fit a whole hub.

Best get checked anyway.

Thanks for the posts folks....there's no noticeable humming noise coming from the rear left so it's probably the ring that's on it's way out....I think I remember my mechanic saying something last year(when the right rear wheel bearing got replaced) about these rings failing and the whole hub having to be swapped so that all makes sense.....another trip to the garage! Again, thanks for taking the time to reply.