Another MPG thread

I thought I'll share my excitement with you guys :)

Did a test economy run today before traveling across Europe.

Round trip about 270miles, from Cardiff to Heathrow terminal 3. Obviously mostly motorway driving but it's measured from house to the multi-storey car park terminal 3 and back + stop on the services 1x each way.

Mostly steady pace at 62mph with cruise control and as the traffic thickened before the airport I took over :). I barely touched the brakes.....just looking ahead and planning next move :bandit:

Anyway....Octavia RS 2.0tsi

sorry for shaky picture, taken just before I arrived at home. On the motorway before Cardiff it was down to almost 51mpg

I know you guys with diesels get this figures easily and at faster pace but horses for courses.

imag1135ex.jpg

• Like 1

well done!

Anything is possible - In a few weeks I'm driving to England all the way from Poland, that's 740 miles to Dunkerque from here. I have never seriously tried to monitor my mpg but this time I will, so let's see what happens when I brim it and sit at at steady 75mph (in 6th gear that's only 1900rpm!). OK, officially the car could in theory do 70mpg, which I did once or twice when stuck in slow traffic at 50mph, but at motorway speeds (and it's all boring motorway driving right from my house) I am expecting 60mpg, and I'll be happy with that. So the risk is having a 12 gallon tank, 740 miles, to fill up or not. Could I do it on one tank?? Not quite!

I've been getting high 30s in my TFSI for the last few weeks now the temperatures have climbed up.

Long term average is sitting at 34.4 right now.

Best ever was 42mpg stuck at 40mph for a large proportion of a journey to Glasgow but I can get 40 on a good day on the 15 miles to work (60mph).

Edited by Aspman

Had mine upto 45 mpg over the weekend hovering around 68-72mph, on the way home it was abit colder and my lights were on so it went back down to 39-40ish, thats also running on Excellium, seemed o.k for me. In July i'm driving to Heidelberg, Germany so will be interesting if to see that i get, i'm banking on a tank and a half of Petrol from West london, but not sure if i can discipline myself to sensible speeds once i pass through the Netherlands into Germany....

I usually don't get as high mpg....that's why I was so chuffed.

Thinking now...usually I put in 99 Tesco Momentum petrol, here and now again Shell V-power. But before this trip trying to make it as cheep as possible I put in Morrisons 95 petrol. Could that have something to do with mpg?? If yes I would think the better quality petrol better mpg not the other way around.

I am going in July to Slovakia....roughly 1150miles so hoping to make it on two tanks of petrol there and two tanks back

Edited by ssppeeddyy2