Clutch pipe leaking where it plugs into slave cylinder

I had handbrake warning light flash on other day and finally got round to having a look today,

Appears my brake fluid level was low, seemed a little odd as i only changed it about 6 months ago so had a scout round and clutch slave cylinder on top of gearbox was abit damp but wasn't sure it it was excess grease from when i greased cables so cleaned it off and topped fluid up,

Been out tonight and just got back, reversed onto drive and clutch pedal went soft so had a quick look and it looks like pipe is leaking where it plugs into slave cylinder, not quiet sure if its end of pipe or joint,

Anybody had anything similar, might just try replacing seal first and see if that cures it

• Like 1

yes funnily enough my handbrake light flashed up tonight going round a corner, despite the fact i know my fluid level was topped up recenty after flashing about a month ago (this fixing the flashing at the time) so am guessing i also have a leak. First place am gonna look now is there, thanks dude

Sorry can't post a fix, but i will check and report back.

Mine did this. I replaced the slave cylinder and the leak continued. Upon closer investigation the end of the hydraulic pipe where the end is flared out was split :-( Because of the really annoying routing of the pipe, I paid a dealer to change the pipe and bleed the system for me.

Strangely the replacement pipe they fitted to my diesel was different (in its bends, etc) to that of the original pipe.

• Like 2

I have a feeling mine is also leaking from the same place as i got g/f to pump clutch pedal and i thought i could see it seeping from there but wasn't sure trying to use my phone as a torch.

Oh yeah and the pipe does look a tad interesting to replace aswell

yup its gonna be a right pain i would think, easy enough when no engine in the way, but that seems a little drastic just to do the pipe :giggle:

I guess that once the heatshield at the back of the engine bay is removed then it might become easier.... Thinking about it, I really need to replace the rigid vacuum pipe to the brake servo, so maybe I will need to investigate this at some point.

I diagnosed this same issue on my mates Mk4 GT TDi recently. He jumped to the conclusion that it was the slave cylinder and went off ready to pay someone to remove the gearbox (slave cylinder is integrated into the release bearing on the 02M)! Luckily I pointed out that it was just the pipe/union leaking.

Must be a fairly common issue then. Suppose it's pretty easy to disturb if you're down in that area.

Is there not an option to cut back the damaged pipe end 10mm and then re-flare it and refit? Probably not enough room......

Must be a fairly common issue then. Suppose it's pretty easy to disturb if you're down in that area.

Is there not an option to cut back the damaged pipe end 10mm and then re-flare it and refit? Probably not enough room......

Mine seemed to start leaking after the (then) GF drove the car (and she liked to sit with her foot on the clutch all the time :slap slap:).

I think with my new pipe there is plenty of spare pipe (and a rubber flexi section too) so it might be possible to shorten it - if one had a suitable flaring tool?

well mine is def leaking too, at the hard line end as it goes into the slave, i have one somewhere, wonder why its leaking as cant see a split, could be the slave i guess?