iPOD bluetooth

Hi

About to lease a new Octavia Elegance. I need the car ASAP as my Alfa has died but would like iPOD functionality on the music player. Too late to specify the Apple kit instead of the USB/Aux in so wondering if converting my iPOD classic to Bluetooth is the best way to go using something like a KOKKIA i10s (NEW Luxurious Black) Tiny Bluetooth iPod Transmitter for iPod/iPhone/iPad/iTouch with true Apple authentication'

Questions are

will this connect to the Amundson unit via Bluetooth?

will sound quality be good?

will I get control of the music player from steering wheel controls and see tracks on the display of the sat nav?

if not might as well just by an ipod dock cable to usb/aux to allow music transfer and charging and just use ipod to control tracks etc (this is what I do in my Alfa)

Cheers

The only way to be able to connect and fully control your iPod with either the multimedia and / or steering wheel controls is to specify the Mitsumi Apple Device connection when you order your car. you can stream music to the car with Bluetooth but you won't be able to control it this way, neither will you be able to using the standard aux / USB sockets. The Mitsumi connection also charges your iPod. Sound quality is not diminished using the Mitsumi connection.FYI Mitsumi are OEM suppliers to Apple so it is fully compatible.

I've got this on my car and it works brilliantly, albums, artists, tracks and even album covers are displayed in the Amundsen!

Edited by Timoctav

The only way to be able to connect and fully control your iPod with either the multimedia and / or steering wheel controls is to specify the Mitsumi Apple Device connection when you order your car. you can stream music to the car with Bluetooth but you won't be able to control it this way, neither will you be able to using the standard aux / USB sockets. The Mitsumi connection also charges your iPod. Sound quality is not diminished using the Mitsumi connection.FYI Mitsumi are OEM suppliers to Apple so it is fully compatible.

I've got this on my car and it works brilliantly, albums, artists, tracks and even album covers are displayed in the Amundsen!

Brilliant thanks, that's really helpful, can't wait unfortunately to have the Mitsumi connection, need the lease car ASAP so will be getting standard spec any add ons could delay my car to 10 weeks. Will have a chat with the lease company though to see if there is any chance of finding a car with this on for me though as sounds excellent esp album art displaying on unit! Failing that its back to the dock cable and aux route. I had hoped Bluetooth might at least allow display of tracks, artists and album art but never mind.

Edited by Lees

I think if the album art is stored in a format that the unit can recognise it should be shown whatever the source.

For info on my MK2 Blackline with Amundsen + and Bluetooth my unit will show track info, timer (though this doesnt work with my Galaxy Note 2) and track skip/seek also works when on a BT connection; be surprised if the MK3 audio cant do the same.

I think if the album art is stored in a format that the unit can recognise it should be shown whatever the source.

For info on my MK2 Blackline with Amundsen + and Bluetooth my unit will show track info, timer (though this doesnt work with my Galaxy Note 2) and track skip/seek also works when on a BT connection; be surprised if the MK3 audio cant do the same.

It might show all the info but you definitely cannot control an Apple device without the Mitsumi connection

Brilliant thanks, that's really helpful, can't wait unfortunately to have the Mitsumi connection, need the lease car ASAP so will be getting standard spec any add ons could delay my car to 10 weeks. Will have a chat with the lease company though to see if there is any chance of finding a car with this on for me though as sounds excellent esp album art displaying on unit! Failing that its back to the dock cable and aux route. I had hoped Bluetooth might at least allow display of tracks, artists and album art but never mind.

Have a chat with your Skoda dealer, it may be possible to retrofit the Mitsumi

It might show all the info but you definitely cannot control an Apple device without the Mitsumi connection

Works fine (in fact better....the track counter even works) when I BT the wifes iPhone 3GS to my Blackline. Id be very surprised if the BT audio connecivity on a MK3 didnt fully support an iPhone

What format is that ?

Have a chat with your Skoda dealer, it may be possible to retrofit the Mitsumi

As it's a lease car not sure where I stand making mods to the vehicle but may enquire if its allowed but to be honest the Bluetooth route may be cheaper at £40 or just a cable for £5 which is what I had on the Alfa - wasn't a problem for me changing tracks as tend to run with genius mixes anyway.

Works fine (in fact better....the track counter even works) when I BT the wifes iPhone 3GS to my Blackline. Id be very surprised if the BT audio connecivity on a MK3 didnt fully support an iPhone

Brilliant info, thanks, may go down the Bluetooth route then if this connector will bt to the Amundsen. Will wait and see if any other MKIII owners go first and feedback on whether you can get any control via bt or not. Be happy with no wires and track info displaying tbh. I take it with the Mitsumi you still have a wire from iPod to stereo?

On reading the Amundsen manual, the Amundsen seems to be compatible with AVRCP and the bluetooth device i was going to buy states 'i10s responds to Receiver Remote AVRCP commands (Play, Pause, Next, Previous). Transmits stereo audio from iPods, iPhones, iPads wirelessly to compatible Bluetooth receivers'

So it should work and display tracks and allow basic functions like skip and pause which is all I want - no album art but can live with that

Any thoughts am I missing something?

Edited by Lees

What format is that ?

The Amundsen + in my MK2 can decode raw AAC files (mp4a's) so long as they dont have rights protection on them (which nothing you download from the Apple store nowadays has, they did it for a while and stopped as it caused more problems than it solved).

I think it can do this via the SD slot and v confident it can do it via BT (as I have stuck my SD in my phone to try it a while ago and everything played).

Again be surprised if there was less functionality on the newer audio system. I had MDI in my past few VAG cars and thought I'd miss it in the Blackline and have to say given my car can handle SD and BT audio I've not missed iPod/USB connectivity at all.

Personally if your iTunes library is a mix of mp3s and recent AAC files copy them directly to an SD card and use that instead, same end result.

I have just ordered my elegance and got a pre built model as I dont really want to wait.

In my current Octy I do have an ipod connection, but to be honest, very rarely use it, and now that the new octy has DAB I will use it even less.

Just htinking I might just use the SD slot(s).

do you know if there is a maximum size for an SD card?? I think my current ipod is a 16gb

thanks.

On reading the Amundsen manual, the Amundsen seems to be compatible with AVRCP and the bluetooth device i was going to buy states 'i10s responds to Receiver Remote AVRCP commands (Play, Pause, Next, Previous). Transmits stereo audio from iPods, iPhones, iPads wirelessly to compatible Bluetooth receivers'

So it should work and display tracks and allow basic functions like skip and pause which is all I want - no album art but can live with that

Any thoughts am I missing something?

So long as your phone supports AVRCP then it'll do everything you want. Id be v surprised if your handset doesnt support this unless its v old (which im sure it wont be).

VAG OEM bluetooth is superb, absolutely wouldnt be without it now.

Just been out to the car.....bearing in mind this is a MK2 Amundsen + can confirm it plays all my music from my SD card via my Galaxy Note 2s Bluetooth connection. It fires up the built in music player, shows all track details and can skip/search tracks. Sounds good too but probably not quite as good as playing directly from SD slot. It plays all tracks start to finish alphabetically based upon its title unless you mess around with playlists.

Anyway functionality is v good and expect the new Amundsen to be the same if not better.

I got a 16GB for my Octy and stokey said 32GB is mentioned in the manual. Let's see. For the moment I only have 16GB cards but I will test one 32GB when I will get my Octy.

From the Amundsen manual:

Supported formats:

› SD (Secure Digital Memory Cards) - max. size 2 GB;

› SDHC (Secure Digital High-Capacity Memory Cards) - max. size 32 GB;

› SDXC (Secure Digital Extended Capacity) - guaranteed max. size 128 GB.

Due to differing quality requirements from different card manufacturers, it is not

possible to always guarantee the playback of memory cards. Some files on the

memory card cannot be played or their playback is limited.

CAUTION

A memory card cannot have more than 5°000°folders and 15°000°files. Thus, one

folder cannot have more than 6°000 files.

• Like 2

So long as your phone supports AVRCP then it'll do everything you want. Id be v surprised if your handset doesnt support this unless its v old (which im sure it wont be).

VAG OEM bluetooth is superb, absolutely wouldnt be without it now.

Brilliant thanks, that's what I thought. iPod classic hasn't got Bluetooth but can buy a BT adaptor that supports AVRCP for it.

CAUTION

A memory card cannot have more than 5°000°folders and 15°000°files. Thus, one

folder cannot have more than 6°000 files.

I believe this is an esential thing to take into consideration

• 4 weeks later...

I have had the BT Audio factory kit retro fitted which works well with the phone.  However when streaming music, the track info doesn't display.  Can anyone advise how to get this working?