A simple hybrid question

I keep seeing talk of hybrids and have a question….

If you want.... I don’t know let’s say 210 BHP.

Is it as simple as you buy this turbo for £880

http://www.turbodynamics.co.uk/shop/mdx446-stage-2-hybrid-turbo-for-vag-19tdi-130bhp-engines-p-4858.html

It fits straight on to all the standard parts.

Then get somebody to map it for like £300 or whatever they charge.

And that’s it??

Technically that’s all you need to do?

Intercooler and clutch aside for a second.

In the simplest of terms yes.

However you may get more power with further ancillary upgrades (intake, air filter, downpipe, exhaust etc), and would struggle to give that power consistently without upgrading to better cooling (FMIC) and potentially without further upgrades to other parts your car is likely to self destruct (clutch) or struggle to get the power on the road (LSD or decent tyres)

• Like 1

Guest BigJase88

Anyhoo! Not like you to be talking about modifying fred? Finally realised 130bhp isn't quite enough?

Thanks for the replies – its certainly interesting and in the big scheme of things very cheap.

I knew 130 was not enough before I bought the car. However the 40+ mpg around town makes up for it :)

Well…. It does but I’m now so bored of the car I’m debating either passing it down to the GF or selling it.

But then I read all these hybrid posts and a little part of me wondered if going that sort of power would make the car more interesting and livable for another 18 months or whatever.

The money it would cost is nothing compared to buying a new car.

I don’t know.

Just crazy dreams at this stage.

How hard is a new turbo to fit yourself?

It's not a hard job Fred having now changed 2 on my drive way following failures.

It'll be even easier if it's not for failure reasons as you'd not need to take the boost pipes and intercooler out to pick bits of impellor out of them!

you could probably do it in a couple of hours i reckon.

In the simplest terms undo boost pipes, take off EGR assembly, take off intake manifold, take out turbo & manifold, reverse the process to put everything back together...

Guest BigJase88

Thanks for the replies – its certainly interesting and in the big scheme of things very cheap.

I knew 130 was not enough before I bought the car. However the 40+ mpg around town makes up for it :)

Well…. It does but I’m now so bored of the car I’m debating either passing it down to the GF or selling it.

But then I read all these hybrid posts and a little part of me wondered if going that sort of power would make the car more interesting and livable for another 18 months or whatever.

The money it would cost is nothing compared to buying a new car.

I don’t know.

Just crazy dreams at this stage.

How hard is a new turbo to fit yourself?

When i had my standard vrs i acheived 53mpg on a 400 mile trip

My mate with 220bhp and a hybrid acheived 56mpg!

Work that one out :/

Turbo not working as hard = better mpg!

Win win

When i had my standard vrs i acheived 53mpg on a 40 mile trip

My mate with 220bhp and a hybrid acheived 56mpg!

My Jabbasport stage 3 (250-260bhp) used to average 53mpg.

More power on these engines doesn't seem to effect economy that much unless you drive a like a loon all the time.