EA211 1.2TSI engine?

Rather than clutter up the other thread, I thought I'd post this here.

Now I hate to quote from Wikipedia, but this info matches what I've been hearing.

Is this really going in the Rapid as well as the Octavia3 ?

The EA211 engines are a completely new four-cylinder turbocharged and direct-injection TSI engines. Compared to its predecessor, the EA211 series is significantly more compact, with installation length 50 mm shorter, thus offering more interior space.

The installation position of the engines has also been optimised.

Just as in the diesels, the petrol engines are now mounted with the exhaust side facing backwards and tilted at an angle of 12 degrees.

The weight of these petrol engines made of die-cast aluminium is only 97 kg for the 1.2 TSI and 106 kg for the 1.4 TSI. The crankshaft alone became lighter by 20 per cent; the connecting rods lost 30 per cent of their weight. In addition the connecting rod bearing journals are now hollow-drilled and pistons now come with flat bottoms, all of them optimized for lower weight.

Regarding thermal management, the EA211 petrol engine is equipped with a modern dual-circuit cooling system. That means that a high temperature circuit with a mechanically driven cooling pump cools the basic engine, while a low temperature circuit flows through the intercooler and the turbo-charger casing.

The cylinder-head circuit heats the cabin's interior. The exhaust manifold is integrated into the cylinder head, enabling the engine to warm up more quickly, in turn making heat available quickly for the passenger cabin. At high loads, the exhaust is cooled by the coolant, lowering fuel consumption.

Note that this does claim they are belt driven, but does not clearly state they are 16v.

Could be four inlet and exhaust or four valves per cylinder. So 8v or 16v ???

EA211 engine family. Turbocharged and direct-injection TSI engines with a four-cylinder, four-valve layout and belt driven camshafts.

1.2 TSI 63kW: The entry-level petrol engine. Turbocharging produces a maximum torque of 160 Nm (at 1,400 to 3,500 rpm).

1.2 TSI 77kW: The improved performance version of the 1.2 TSI Green tec, which includes a start/stop system and brake energy recuperation, manages an output of 77 kW (105 hp). This TSI engine provides a maximum torque of 175 Nm at between 1,400 and 4,000 rpm.

Yes.

Saw one in a rapid being pdi'd today.

Very interesting. Looks like another quick U turn for Rapids then, current 1.2 has only been in there months!

8v or 16v?

Did they say?

Have to say, mine is due to be built in a couple of weeks.

At this stage I have no idea what's going to turn up! (engine and other quick changes being made)

Maybe they'll use the newer 1.2TSI for Greentec models to start or maybe all... who knows! :wonder:

I was more interested in getting my car back cleaned properly - some glue residue left from stickers/travel protecting film.

Will try get a look next time!

• Like 1

Just found a czech article on the internet which states that the Chinese Rapid is getting the EA211 engines, but in naturally aspirated form.

It is about two months old, but it also claims that the Rapid will remain with the EA111 engines.

http://www.auto.cz/e...ory-ea211-74126

EDIT: I suppose you've seen it with your own eyes though Ad Lav it sorta speaks for itself.

Bossfox - if there was one getting a PDI, you'd think yours would have the new engine, but it might be a lottery.

i cant see them keeping the old 8V engine for long. Why would someone want an engine with the same power but with more emissions/less fuel economy? doesnt make sense to me, so i thought they would get rid of the existing stock of 1.2 TSi 8V's so they can start fitting the 16V's instead

I will pop in tomorrow ask for a look - was a base S spec model.

Like it in silver though, should have changed from white :)

Next time, I'm waiting a year before buying a new model, good chance the spec won't change.

• Like 1

Next time, I'm waiting a year before buying a new model, good chance the spec won't change.

I learnt the same thing with the Citigo, 4 months after buying mine, they changed the steering wheel n gear stick etc Grrrr!!!

That's why I was hoping from a pic of the new unit in a Rapid.

See attachment, which will make it easy to identify. (clearly shows 16 valves too!)

post-60294-0-37975400-1370897558_thumb.jpg

Just have a cheeky unclip of the cover if there aren't any exposed portions... or just study that diagram I guess... maybe even ask for the service book so you can see the engine code.

• Like 2

Engine codes would be best, i think they are like CZBA etc for the 1.2TSi 8V engines. I know thats the one fitted to my brothers 2011 Seat Ibiza.

So under the boot mat on the sticker. Saves the embarrassment of being told off for touching an engine bay on a demo car :p

edit: CBZA, CBZB, CBZC

Saves the embarrassment of being told off for touching an engine bay on a demo car :p

Lol, could be pretty awkward. Just imagine the dealers muttering among themselves 'what the f*** is he doing?'.

• Like 3

Lol, could be pretty awkward. Just imagine the dealers muttering among themselves 'what the f*** is he doing?'.

not that it would stop Bossfox at Preston Motors :rofl:

• Like 1

not that it would stop Bossfox at Preston Motors :rofl:

Whistles innocently....

Baring in mind the test drive of the Citigo demo went via Jabbasport for a conversion measure up. :D

• Like 4

Richard, if you get one of the new engines can I have it when you strap the 217bhp 2.0 TSI in to yours? :giggle:

Something still doesn't sound right to me about this though, given the engine is the other way around I'd imagine the mounting points are all in completely different places which would mean different construction for the engine bay?

Well surely as the gearbox is in the same sort of place that would have essentialy turned the head around, leaving the block and bottom end in place.

Dont forget like the citigo, this has the exhaust manifold as a part of the head so that it warms the coolant up quicker and I don't believe that the old engine had that. So they have most likely overhauled the head but only changed oil and coolant galleries in the block as well as a bit of weight saving.

So engine mounts probably would have been kept the same for ease of manufacturing