Horn sounding on its own - anyone?

Got a strange electrical gremlin at the moment, the horn souds randomly as your drive - might happen for an hour then nothing for 2 days then its back, turn the wheel and it gets worse next day nothing it gone again or it only happens when you go over potholes. I thinking loose connection somehwere... but where?

Anyone had something similar?

Its in with the dealer but if they cant repoduce it i suspect it will come back to me until it becomes a persistent problem they can see.

On the plus side Skoda Assist have been good as usual and have provided a brand new Ocavia 3 as a hire car - its quite nice, feels bigger but not nessesseraly better/higher quality if you know what i mean.

Normally the horn wire from the control box goes through the steering wheel and back through down to an earth point. No live cable goes via the wheel.

So it could be a faulty cable touching earth near the wheel?

I had no horn at all on an old Ibiza and it was the slip ring connection at the back of the wheel, one of the crimps was loose. I don't think that would cause it to "fire" to the horn however, unless it was "free" and touching some other metal earth point.

Hope it helps

P.S VCDS/Vag com can do a horn test if you have one or someone nearby, this only sends a signal to the electronic box to fire the horn, it doesn't have anything to do with the earth wire via the wheel.

Edited by chris4500uk

Dealer thinks they havd found and solved the problem - loose spring on the underside of the stearing wheel cap (part you push when you sound the horn), should get teh car back tomorrow AM so we will see...