Car is about to be loaded onto a transporter - but......... number plate not on retention yet

I only ordered the car last Monday. Stock model 1.6 Elegance DSG.

just spoke to the dealer and he said not only has it now arrived, but it has the paperwork to be loaded on to the transporter.

As soon as I ordered the car last week I put my number plate on retention, but just spoken to the DVLA and it has not been processed yet.

that means I either take the new car with a 13 plate and have to pay to have my personalised plate put on in a couple of weeks, or I let the car gather dust at the dealership for a few days.

I hope they are quick. picked up my wifes new citigo on the saturday and by the wednesday the V5 had arrived.

boo hoo. Hurry up DVLA.........

Did it all really quickly.

Only decided on the saturday to change, ordered on the monday, so could not have done it any sooner.

Oh well, may have to wait a whole week.

now got to sort out VW finance to 'terminate the agreement' on my current car.

I have a personal plate on my current car and would like to transfer it to my Octavia (due late July) as it's first reg. Having not done this before what is the best and cheapest way to do this?

Any help appreciated, thanks

I have a personal plate on my current car and would like to transfer it to my Octavia (due late July) as it's first reg. Having not done this before what is the best and cheapest way to do this?

I did the same with mine. You need to put your personal "cherished" registration on retention as you won't have the new vehicle details to transfer it until it is at the dealers, when it is too late! On the form tick the box for retention, NOT transfer!

Link to DVLA, this explains the process and you can download the necessary V317 form.

https://www.gov.uk/t...umber-form-v317

if you put your plate on retention you then get a retention certificate which you give to your dealer a few days before collection of your new car to enable him to register it with your cherished plate. You send the V317 to your local vehicle registration office NOT DVLA. This office will then issue a new number for your existing car with the paperwork authorising these to be made up and a replacement tax disc.

I always take a photocopy of the form and the existing V5 etc, and send by recorded delivery so you know it's got there and there will be a record of whose signed for it. The cost is £105 to put on retention for up to one year.

As your car is due in a month I would do this as soon as you can as the process can take up to 28 days, and you need to ensure that the cherished plate is off your current car before you hand it in, otherwise your dealer will not be able to sell on your old car - as it won't have a registration number and you won't have the replacement V5 registration document which you also need to hand over with your car.

Edited by Timoctav
  • Like 1

Retention as wantaskoda and The Plumber describe. Cost is £105, details on the DVLA site. Don't do a cherished transfer (the alternative approach) to have your new vehicle delivered on your cherished plates.

In our recent experience doing it for company vehicles, cherished transfer is likely to delay things considerably and the dealer will hate you. Three years ago my Superb sat at the dealer for four weeks waiting on the DVLA. We had a Volvo V70 in the last few months that ended up as the dealers showroom vehicle temporarily because the cherished transfer took DVLA nearly two months :wonder:.

My understanding is that this paperwork used to be handled by the regional offices, now it is all processed centrally in Swansea. We now only do retention.

Regards

Edited by cookdn

Thanks for the in-depth info...I best get started and get my plate on Retention. I was going to sell the plate it's been on Regtransfer for about 3 weeks with not a single enquiry so I've decided to keep it. I would have tripled my money if I could have sold it after having it for 7 years, Regtransfer would have made £300 for doing nothing more than putting in on their website.

Thanks again!!

• Like 1

Just happened to be passing the dealer and the car is already there. HUGE smiles as it is stunning.

Spoke to dvla and I have decided to take a 13 plate whilst I wait for retention certificate so that I can get the car this weekend.

The car is going back to be finance and this could take a couple of weeks.

Will get dealer to make up new plates for personal number as well.

• Like 1