hatch / boot opening problem

Hi,

First post, but so impressed with the amount of knowledge out there I was hoping someone has come across this problem before.

We have a 57 plate (new shape) Fabia 1.2 with central locking (not remote) which my daughter uses at university for work placements (this the reason I haven't actually checked the car myself yet).

So, when the car is unlocked (with the key in either front door) the boot won't open until the passenger door is opened.

When my daughter returns home after a visit to the supermarket, engine switched off, gets out (obviously via the drivers door) the boot wont open. She then opens and closes the passenger door and the boot then opens.

I figure that the boot switch and lock mechanism must be ok or it would't open at all. I am also of the opinion that the wiring / earth points must be ok for the same reason.

I'm then left with either a faulty drivers door switch (but the interior light comes on when the drivers door is open), a faulty control unit (wherever that is), or maybe a software problem?

Any help would be appreciated.

If it all works in principle the only conclusion is that there must be a management fault where a switch/sensor is non functional. Have you had it checked for faults with VCDS yet? There is a map of briskoda members with the gear and willing to help when contacted.

Welcome to the forums :)

Strange one that. When she opens the passenger door is this from the inside or out?

If inside,then the car will unlock all doors inc boot,pressing unlock button near gearstick should have same effect

If shes outside it sounds like a central locking problem

I would suggest this is something to do with the way your C/L is configured. My car has remote C/L and on first click it unlocks the drivers door only. On second click all DOORS and BOOT unlocks. So in essence it takes a 'double unlock' to be able to open the boot. This can be changed by the dealer so that one click opens all and also it can be made to automatically lock all doors at a speed exceeding around 5 mph. I'd run it in and have it checked but I suspect it won't be much of a problem to correct.

It would be nice to hear how you get on. :thumbup:

Have come across double locking with key operated central locking on an S trim Octavia II; needed to turn the key to the unlock position twice to unlock all the doors.

Otherwise it could be a controller problem, had an issue with an 03 Mk I where the boot and one of the rear doors wouldn't unlock every time you opened the car; new control unit and the problem went away.

TP

• Like 2

I would be looking at the door switch on the drivers door, does the interior light come on when the drivers door is opened?

as our mk1 fabia does something similar, the boot won't open unless the drivers door has been opened, its a feature apparently to stop people opening the boot and nicking stuck if you are stopped at lights etc

Well he said 'not remote'. so suggesting double pressing on a remote that doesnt exist i wouldnt say was obvious lol

Sounds like a sort of fault only a vag would come up with

Think you might have misread my post. I said MY car has remote and was suggesting the OP may have to unlock TWICE manually to open the boot. Also suggesting the Dealer may be able to alter the setting to a more desirable one. Do keep up!! :rofl:

Think you might have misread my post. I said MY car has remote and was suggesting the OP may have to unlock TWICE manually to open the boot. Also suggesting the Dealer may be able to alter the setting to a more desirable one. Do keep up!! http://www.briskoda.net/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Na sorry mate understood your comment but OP said he has a fabia with central locking but not remote central locking, so he wouldnt have a remote to press the unlock button twice on.

Also think all fabias leave factory with this double tap feature and you can get it changed at dealer or someone with vagcom to make it a signle tap unlock

Na sorry mate understood your comment but OP said he has a fabia with central locking but not remote central locking, so he wouldnt have a remote to press the unlock button twice on.

Also think all fabias leave factory with this double tap feature and you can get it changed at dealer or someone with vagcom to make it a signle tap unlock

I think what the other guy meant was....

When you put the key in the lock and twist, it will unlock the driver door only. if you then twist it again it will unlock all doors....does on our Suzuki Alto and was the same on a courtsey Fabia s

That's precisely what I was meaning ^^^^^, I was trying to explain how the REMOTE works and number of presses required and that the MANUAL does in many ways mirror this in use therefore the settings can be adjusted by the dealer to suit individual preference.

Hi,

Lots of helpful comments here. I think that I need a VCDS check to rule out a fault - I'm hoping that a little reconfiguration will sort out the problem. 

The car won't be back home until next month, is there anyone in the Wrexham / Chester / Mold area that would be willing to help out?

• 2 years later...