Rear wheel Noise advise please

Hi,

I have noticed for the last week a noise coming from the rear passenger wheel while driving and it does sound like a metal to metal noise or similar to a wheel bearing away but my car is only 8 months old and has only done 3800 miles. When I got home today from work I jacked up the drives side and spun the rear wheel and it is like a metal sort of grating noise or a wheel bearing noise but the passenger side is totally quiet when I spin it, just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on the matter and my car is booked into the dealers tomorrow to have a look at it.

Thanks for the advise, my friend next door is a mechanic for years and we are going to take the wheel off and check for stones, cant be anything else surely at less than 4k miles.

Update

We have just checked and the wheel bearing is away, fair bit of play in the wheel and noisy and the other side is solid and quiet. :( So glad I booked the car in for tomorrow.

Wow must have been a faulty bearing

Yes it was a faulty bearing and after the mechanic drove the car for a few hundred yards he also agreed it was the bearing and they replaced it this morning and now the car is lovely and quiet once again. He did mention that it was very unusual for a bearing to go at less than 4k miles but I suppose things can happen.