Clutch pedal vibrating

Hi

Just took my occy out this morning and noticed a vibration whenever i depress the clutch. its not there when in neutral. i cant hear anything unusual either. I'm a bit worried as i have a 600 mile journey coming up and i dont fancy it blowing up on the way.

I dont have the funds to just pop to a garage at the moment so any other advice would be great.

Release bearing maybe?  If so, then it will last for ages and ages.  Mine started to make a slight noise when I depressed the clutch a few months ago, and then stopped again..... Odd things these cars!

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice mbames, got the same at work yesterday but then things changes

Got worse yesterday, no real biting point, judders when pulling off in first and squeals like a bitch when depressed.

Called local garage and they want £370 for parts and £200+ labour. strangely they got defensive when i asked about the cost of parts and would the EuroCarParts driver be dropping them off like he does everyday. they couldnt justify how online the clutch kit costs under £100 but they would be making over 200% profit. I guess i wont be going there again!

Luckily my local mechanic at the nearby VW garage is changing it for £350 all in.

I suspect the car will need a dual mass flywheel too.

I've just pulled the clutch  off my 1.8T, the centre of the driven plate is loose, the small cushioning springs aren't doing there thing anymore and the whole thing rattles

If your replacing the clutch there's two main options to look at, and this mainly depends on if the cars tuned or you plan to tune it.

If your running standard power or just light tuning, I.e. exhaust/induction kit etc then just a standard clutch replacement will be fine

If your planning on mapping then your best looking at changing over to a solid flywheel conversion, this is available as a kit from Euro car parts / GSF etc and offers a much more reliable alternative to the dual mass as fitted as standard, also, should the clutch ever go again you can just get away with changing the clutch plates as the flywheel is a lot stronger.

The only downside to single mass is that you will feel a bit more feedback through the car / clutch pedal as the dual mass fitted as standard is designed to offer a bit of damping to eradicate this feeling.

You'll probably find that converting to the solid flywheel that its actually cheaper than replacing the dual mass anyway, and the kits are relatively cheap across eBay and euro car parts etc. it's just the choice between comfort or performance and reliability.

Hope this helps