USB connection to Iphone

You can not control the iphone from the stereo using the standard usb, you need the Mitsumi connection to control an iphone, ipod, etc.

Not sure if you can playback via the usb, or whether is for charging only and you need to use either bluetooth streaming or the aux input for playback.

The Rapid has the USB+Aux-in setup like this with the Swing radio, using a Y cable (like this one) works fine.

Has anybody who didn't order the Mitsumi connector actually tried this yet? There's been a few threads in here where this has been discussed but I lost track of them.

Edit: I should note that the cables do have something proprietary inside them going on, as using a standard Apple USB cable and a 3.5mm stereo cable from the headphone socket doesn't seem to work. I do keep meaning to look in to what that is as the construction quality of the Y cable I currently have leaves a lot to be desired (although it's not bad for a freebie from RapidRonnie :D)

I am using a standard USB Cable to mainly charge my iphone.

I beleive that if your bluetooth is on, then you are listening to the sound via bluetooth and you do have control over the iphone.

havent really played with it that much as I have a large SD card that I am using.

• 9 months later...

Just tried to purchase the BMW Y cable, as mentioned by Rapid Ronny above unfortunately it doesn't work with the Bolero stereo.  You get the USB to charge the iPod and play through the 3.5mm jack but it isn't picked up by the USB.  Unforunately you do need to have the MDI connection and I forgot to add this when ordering (silly me).  So it would have to be Bluetooth or SD card, I was hoping it may work but unfortunately not!