Paint or wrap? (& related worries)

Hello all, 

I suppose I should've gone to the intro section first but seeing as I'm looking to benefit from the car-wisdom of others I thought I may as well get posting.

This will be my 2nd car & I'm buying new for the first time. I didn't realise just how weary & drawn out buying new would be & after settling on a price I liked for a Fabia vRS in red with a black roof, parking sensors, dark alloys & protective side mouldings (not available on the vRS but the dealer said they'd stick em on).

Anyhow there were about 33 cars already built & available but the closest I could get without any extras to bump the price up was an all red one so what are your thoughts on painting vs wrapping?

My initial thought was to get it painted but I am buying this on a PCP & in case I decide to trade in for a new car (like if they bring out a Fabia vRS manual!) & didn't know where I'd stand with modifying a car that is effectively on lease. But the dealer is figuring that out for me.

Thanks in advance for any tips etc.

an0therid

Personally I'd get it painted. If you get any damage to the wrap the red may show through. If you do go for the wrap make sure the fitter knows what they are doing with the knife they use to cut it with as they can easily damage the paint underneath when cutting it to size if they are not careful.

That's what gave me doubts about wrapping when a Astra loving mate of mine suggested that as an alternative. Dealer reckons getting the roof painted black shouldn't affect the PCP if I decide to trade it in for something else when the time comes but I'm having them double check with the VW Finance just to be safe. Am I right in saying getting bits painted will need a mention to insurers?

Oh what prices have people paid for a roof paint job?

Welcome to the forum.

No reason that insurance companies need to know about things being painted.

Finance companies will expect to have cars back as bought with some wear and tear according to the mileage.

They will not be expecting a Resprayed car or modified.

You could get the Roof Wrapped and remove at return time if needed.

You will pay lots to have a quality colour change respray on a vRS.

(or any car actually.)

Obviously you would not just do the exterior,

it would need the full McCoy doing, that means under bonnet, door sills, door jamb area, hatch jamb etc.

A quality wrap is an option while you own it if they do no paint damage,

but the bits i mention that need colour changed with paint will still be Red.

& looks pretty naf.

(if you damage an area wrapped, you just get that panel wrapped again, after repairing the panel/dent/paint if required.)

george

EDIT,

Doh. i thought you meant paint or wrap the car, not just the roof.

Get quotes local to you for either, then just do that if thats what you are after.

No need for a Roof Wrap to cause damage with knife cuts unless the guys guide dog is on a day off like mine.

Bossfox had his Nissin gtr wrapped and the guy who did it damaged the paint in quite a few places with his knife where it was cut to size during fitting that were only evident when the wrap was taken off. If that happened to you you'd then have the ball ache of having to sort it before the car went back' which is why I recon paint would be best. As most of the car will still be the original colour the insurance company don't need t know as youre not adding value, affecting performance or increasing the possibility of it being nicked

If you where going to get a Vrs manual. ... Although Skoda say they don't have a clutch capable of coping with the power, would you be giving the car back or part exchanging the old one? You should be in positive equity at the end of your pcp so could use that as part of your next deposit. Did you worry about your mileage allowance as that is near enough the same. ... only relevant if you plan to return the car.

Well that's my thoughts when buying on pcp. It's how I've always done it and never given a car back, always part ex!

P.S. I would certainly paint the roof unless you go down the carbon fibre effect route. ..not sure how that would look though many

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I guess painting sounds like a better choice than wrapping - just need to get a cast iron guarantee from the dealer (Citygate, NW London) that painting the roof won't count against me if I part ex the car back after the PCP. 

@jonro2009 - I didn't worry too much about the mileage allowance - my first car had 35k on the clock when I bought it at the beginning of 2010 & it's only got 45k now. Will probably find more excuses to drive the vRS on holidays but regular commuting is still mainly sitting on the Tube & willing it to go faster! Also had a look at the carbon fibre thing... not sure I'd like a car looking like a giant tennis racket!

P.s. Monte with the vRS engine would be just amazing but if they never make this available in manual, I'll be thinking about an Octavia vRS 

My next car. ... fingers crossed, the Octy VRS.

I'm not a fan of the carbon fibre either. ..can look a bit Halfords.

Im still confused as to why you need clarification from the dealer. Yes, the finance company own the car until you have paid it off in full but you can do things to it if you don't intend to return it and walk away. The only thing the dealer can clarify is the potential resale Value at the end of your contract and even then is not set in stone. If you keep up your repayments and purchase/pay off the car (in one form or another) I wouldn't see the problem but I understand you wanting official clarification. I have looked through my pcp agreement and it says nothing about modifications. Just the usual rubbish about not hiring the car out, keep it insured, taxed and serviced as per schedule and to also keep it in good condition.

I have to say that the dealers don't tend to know a lot about the finance, in my experience. On this purchase alone I found two fairly large errors between what the dealer said and what the finance company say. Both of which were met with. ... Oh we always do it this way, but you are right we will change the paperwork, your the first person to notice this.

Would you be painting the pillars as well? The A pillars are just trim and can be prised off.....this is to make replacing the windscreen easier.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Are we just talking about making the roof black?

If so its easy to wrap and will be cheaper/reversible.

My car was damaged by a dodgy wrapper as pieces of trim (spoiler, wing vents and wing mirrors) should have been removed but were cut round instead.

This is not really an issue if wrapping only the roof, or finding a decent company that only cut into panel gaps so no damage is done.