how to replace the pollen filter / alternative brands

Any one got any instructions (a video would be good) of replacing the pollen filter.

Also, anyone any experiece of using an alternative brand, does a non-oem pollen filter affect the performance/life or anything.

why skimp a couple of pounds on a filter?

just make sure you get the activated carbon one it has better filtration and can reduce some additional contaminants

to change it carefully remove the polystyrene panel under the glove box, under there you will see the filter housing, slide the clips to the middle and the bottom pulls off, slide filter out, slide new one in making not of the airflow direction arrows printed on the new filter, these should point towards centre console

put bottom back on housing and slide clips back to original position, polystyrene back job done, 15-20 minutes max first time, <10minutes once you know how to do it

why skimp a couple of pounds on a filter?

just make sure you get the activated carbon one it has better filtration and can reduce some additional contaminants

Its only a pollen filter - I doubt any brand will perform any different to any other - I've tried carbon activated ones on all my cars - they are much more expensive than a standard filter and to me they make NO DISCERNABLE DIFFERENCE.

If it was an oil filter then yes you should use original/oem - but a pollen filter is basically like a hoover bag.

to change it carefully remove the polystyrene panel under the glove box, under there you will see the filter housing, slide the clips to the middle and the bottom pulls off, slide filter out, slide new one in making not of the airflow direction arrows printed on the new filter, these should point towards centre console

put bottom back on housing and slide clips back to original position, polystyrene back job done, 15-20 minutes max first time, <10minutes once you know how to do it

Whoops, theres the polystene panel cracked! (Dealer did it)

If it takes anyone more than 5 minutes to change a pollen filter on a Fabia, then you're obviously seriously lacking in any DIY ability.

Edited by xman

I do seem to get less smell when the rape seed is in full bloom with the carbon filter,

main thing is to make sure you change it each year, I normally do mine autumn time along with new wiper blades so I am ready for winter as if the pollen filter is clogged the screen don't demist very quick in winter due to reduce airflow

yep about 5-10 minutes to change, but first time it take a few extra minutes to work out everything, which is why I said first time 10-20 minutes then less than 10 next time

many thanks for the replies.

I've always used an oem pollen filter, the skoda pollen filter cost twice as much, but there's a euro car parts near me (10mins walk) which is selling other branded pollen filters (can't remember the brand) it would save me a 35 minute trip to the dealers. However if the non-oem brand does affect performance/life I would go to the dealers.

edit: or could i take the old one out and wash it.

Edited by fabia55

It is just about possible to wash them, but quite frankly its a lot of effort and it wont be anywhere as good as a new filter.

THe cheaper filters at euro car parts etc are perfectly good. Get one of them.

it shouldn't affect performance or life if the oem filter is made to the same spec as the skoda part

only thing I have had with OEM parts in past is sometimes they don't fit quite right, so if you have an older fabia with the pollen filter frame it may be fun fitting it to the frame

I suppose one way to answer your question would be one time put an original skoda filter in and see if you see any difference over the lifetime of the filter and carefully compare the two when you change them, i.e. is the oem exactly the same size or slightly smaller? does it feel the same when you put it in the housing (if the oem one goes in easier could be it is very slightly smaller so may let some air bypass the filter?) etc

Fabia 55 wrote -

"I've always used an oem pollen filter, the skoda pollen filter cost twice as much" - I am confused by this statement?????!!

Surely OEM and the skoda filter are the same thing?

As far as I know OEM stands for original equipment manufacturer?

Perhaps Ive got this wrong.

• Like 1

oem = original equipment manufacturer - either VW/audi/seat/skoda branded part or one of the 2 or 3 suppliers of such items to VAG. (VAG dont actually make filters as if you didnt know - they also dont make a lot of other things on your car...) Mann is a trusted OEM (e.g you will see Man-Hummel stamped on the filter housings on the 1.2 HTP engine for instance.) In fact, because of various observations, I personally feel Mann branded filters are maybe even of a higher standard that those actually supplied to VAG, definitely at least equal.

Beware- not all so called OE items sold are from OEMs! OE quality does not necessarily mean from an OEM! Some ruthless sellers use the words OE when the item is not!

See this pdf that explains the changes in filters in 2010 (skoda got rid of the filter frame to save a few pence and shave a few seconds of the production time)

CU_CUK_26_010_replaces_CU_CUK_2545.pdf

As far as Carbon vs Standard - The Standard filter is white when new whereas the Carbon filter is dark grey (due to the activated carbon) for Mann it gets a "K" added in the part no.

Carbon are about 50% more expensive.

All suppliers (inc Skoda dealers) sell both versions. GSF sell Mann filters, Eurocarparts sell "aftermarket" pollen filters (for Fabia that is) - not OEM

But a pollen filter is not one of those "critical" parts.....

Edited by xman