Help with rivets in window carrier panel

MartianP

Hi, I'm new to this forum which seems like a good place to turn for help.  :hi:

I drive a Fabia Combi 1.4 16V 2005 model. This morning the driver side electric window stop working and emitted a loud cracking sound, and the window was stuck 2 inches open. I removed the door panel and removed the window motor. What I discovered was, the wires had undone itself from the cable wheel and was protruding from the hole where the window motor is mounted upon. I figure i have to remove the carrier panel to get access to the cable wheel, but on my Fabia model, the carrier panel is mounted with rivets.  :wall:

My question is, if i drill out the rivets, is there any way i can reattach the carrierpanel again, without rivets as i neither have access to the right size rivets or the tool. Do I have any other options?

Best regards

Martin

Yeah they changed to using rivets around 2003 :@

You can either re-rivet the new panel, or use caged nuts. I used nutserts, but this requires quite an expensive tool which I have.

I'm sure someone will probably make other suggestions.

You can buy the complete carrier with regulator from eurocarparts (at least I bought the drivers side) for the same price (or less) as others sell just the regulator kit. Saves a fair bit of work.

I just wanted to say I'll be watching this thread too. I had the exact same thing happen to me a few weeks back.

Lowered the driver side mirror and heard a horrible crunch. Window wouldn't budge up or down by pulling it. Took off the panel to reveal a tangle of wires which I untangled and was able to lift the window back up. Noticed the rivets and had to stop there so I can't replace the window regulator with a new one. For the past few weeks I've just had cardboard wedged down the glass to hold it up and it jutters down as I drive - not ideal to say the least.

Like you, I could drill out the rivets but don't want to risk not being able to get the panel back on. Ideas would be much appreciated. It seems like a fairly straightforward task otherwise!