Colours: RGB values

I'm finding it almost impossible to work out what the Oct. Mk. 3 colours look like. The local dealers have a couple of cars to view, mostly grey (respectable but unexciting (well...boring) ) or racing blue (clearly very popular, but I'm not even a middle aged racer, more an elderly military medium sort of cove with a partner who has views). Silver, beige, rust and brown seem dreary and anonymous (and hard to find in a car park when you've forgotten where you've left it). Over the years I've had reds, whites and a blacks and wearied of them. As a result, I'm left with the other two blues. I don't trust the pics much - too many misleading reflections or deep shade, - nor the little dabs of colour on the configurator or in the brochure. The videos on YouTube and pictures on here seldom mention the colour. So....does anyone have any idea of the RGB values of: denim blue and petrol blue? I can identify those and play with them in different sorts of light and shade. Any help welcome! 

When I visited the dealer he brought me a colour sampler & the pages were about 1 foot square & when held next to cars they had in the showroom were an exact matched colour & nothing like the brochure or configurator colours. Each has the Skoda colour code on them. I went intending to order petrol blue but seeing the colour chart changed my mind.

I liked cappuccino & steel grey. Dealer suggested from a resale point of view the grey hold their value better but as steel grey is being discontinued that might be up for debate. Personal choice at the end of the day.

I think the pure RGB values would be misleading certainly for the Petrol Blue (which is what I have), because of the metallic nature of the paint, and I suspect the shades mixed in, the overall colour you see is very dependant on the ambient light. Mine looks anything from dark navy blue to a deep sea green/blue (my wife insists the colour is more green than blue - where as I see it the other way round (blue with green mixed in). I am constantly surprised by how much the colour changes with the light falling on it.

I did post some pics on this thread

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/279599-colour-quandry/page-2

not the most clear pics but might help.

Edited by hawkster

Thanks guys, good advice both. I've never quite trusted the colour samplers after I used them to make a wrong choice of colour on a passat. I thought I'd picked a rather stylish funky yellow, not egg yolk orange.

Rainworth (Notts) Skoda this morning confirmed that Grey is about to be unavailable and that so too is petrol blue - which looked good in your pics, Hawkster. Apparently a significant factor in affecting the build dates is whether or not your order includes the panoramic sunroof. My order will include that and so probably push the whole thing to after the deletion of the colours. Dealer thought the reason for the loss of these two popular colours was due to licences on them expiring (I don't dig it, either). Looks like Denim blue.

• 11 months later...

Hello Maturin,

Probably too late now but agree with all yr points, especially locating your vehicle amongst boring colours when you've left yr car in the car park.

I have been looking at getting my '13 grey Octavia resprayed in the Audi colour that was on my previous car (LY6M aqua green metallic). 

During that research I located a website which gave RGB (and many other colour space details). If you can find the skoda colour code for Petrol Blue you may be able to use the below website to find the data you want. Rgds Bill.

http://encycolorpedia.com.