Looking at a remap for pd170 - what to expect.

yes, it's a remap tune issue...Here in Portugal people get used to remap and modify Diesel cars than Petrol cars! Here there are many good companies that can make good remaps on diesel car without any problems. We have Diesels cars like Seat Ibiza, for example that makes the quarter mille near 8s...just youtube it :)

A remaped car with the DPF it's like you said, it goes on regeneretion more faster and the DPF see it's life getting reduced...but if you get a remap, you should reconsider remove the DPF.

• 7 months later...

I have my 2008 Octavia VRS PD170 remapped by Shark Performance with the STS unit.  I decided on the STS unit, as I liked the idea of not having the hassle to drive it someone to have it done.  Plus, I would have the flexibility of re-uploading the ECU, if it ever got overwritten by the dealer, or downgrading to stock.

The stage 1 remap has transformed the car into the way it should have been from factory.  Flooring the accelerator from start will result in wheelspin (on dry tarmac - smooth or rough surface) in 1st and 2nd gear.  It can also be refined enough, if you don't go hard on the pedal.  3rd is where it's the best (overtaking in the 30mph to 60mph) and there is tremendous torque, even on 4th and 5th gear!  The car will drive smooth or rough, depending on how you treat the accelerator pedal.  It just means adapting the way you drive - takes more getting used to not flooring it on 1st and 2nd gear to get the traction right, but 3rd can be floored.

With the remap, I have noticed that he DPF light has come on much more often (due to my heavy right foot).  However, I would think that easing off the acceleration when cold will help. If it starts to get problematic, I would consider getting the DPF gutted out, as generally on the PD engine, the DPF is a real nuisance, especially when I hardly do motorway driving.

Hope this helps for someone considering getting the PD170 remapped or not...  My experience has been positive.

• Like 1