Free accelerating Monte Carlo

Hi My wifey has a new Monte Carlo diesel 1.6. Loves it but is a bit perturbed by the fact that it accelerates by itself! You can break for a corner, take foot of brake and away it goes! The same approaching roundabouts. It happens in 2,3,or 4th. She is a motorway driver and not stop start,. The dealer said it is the DPF but this doesn't sound right. It is going back in for a more thorough diagnosis. I think there is a safety issue going on here. Any ideas?

No floor mats but Skoda technical dept said it could be something to do with idling stabilisation something or another? All the same its an annoyance.

How many revs is she pulling in 2nd, 3rd and 4th?

If she is in too high a gear then the anti-stall tries to lift rpm to 1000 or so.

Noticed it with mine. Tight left turn near home that I have always taken in 3. Do that in my 1.6 TDi and it accelerates a little on the turn. Take it in 2 and it is fine.

How many revs is she pulling in 2nd, 3rd and 4th?

If she is in too high a gear then the anti-stall tries to lift rpm to 1000 or so.

Noticed it with mine. Tight left turn near home that I have always taken in 3. Do that in my 1.6 TDi and it accelerates a little on the turn. Take it in 2 and it is fine.

Agree with eccleshill that it is likely to be the anti-stall 'feature'. A bit disconcerting until you get used to it.

Even after 26000 miles it still 'catches me out' occasionally.

Alan

It's just about adapting to the way newer diesel engines drive. Yes the anti-stall can do this but so can another feature connected to the dpf if a regen starts while the engine is at low revs. This has the effect of raising engine revs too. You cannot drive these new diesels like the older long stroke engines, the new ones like a few more revs so if the anti-stall is triggering then a lower gear may be needed or your wife may need to declutch just a tad earlier. She needs to experiment with her driving technique for the new car. Many find the same as she has and soon adapt. Enjoy the car, they're a good un!

Thanks for all the advice. I think its true that she needs to adapt to the new breed of diesel. She had the fabia vrs mk1and i think she is comparing the cars. Having said that she loves the car especially with every available extra! (Ex demo)

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice. I think its true that she needs to adapt to the new breed of diesel. She had the fabia vrs mk1and i think she is comparing the cars. Having said that she loves the car especially with every available extra! (Ex demo)

Hi melmagtilly

Our Elegance is my wife's car (on paper at least) but - as a result of the car's 'idiosyncrasies' (anti-stall, DPF regens, lack of 'grunt'/torque ) - she will ALWAYS take the Mk.1 vRS keys if they are available - finds it "easier to drive"!!

Think it'll be a petrol next time!!

Alan

Even my Mk1 1.9 Tdi PD did this, it is something to do with the idle stabiliser/ anti stall. It is weird as I used to turn into our road and before I could put the gas on the engine pulled away momentarily as if cruise was switched on. It was only a temporary thing but took some getting used to.

I'd be surprised if theres anything wrong with your car, it's as Estate Man says, just a matter of getting used to the car.