Having to top up coolant

I have a 2010 Octavia Greenline.

For about 4 months now I have had an issue where by the car has asked me to top up coolant every few weeks, this was a slight concern but more of an irritation than anything.

I took it to the skoda dealership they did a pressure check and said there was no leak. Then when it was in a few weeks later for a service I raised the issue again this time they said it needed a new water pump.

So I booked it in to have this done, when I picked it up they said that the EGR valve was knackered and needed replacing. since picking up the car on tuesday I have now had to top up the coolant 3 times, any ideas what the hell these guys could have done to my car ive gone from having a minor irritation to a massive issue.

Firstly its probably worth getting this thread moved to the MK2 forum.

Secondly is the car still under warranty? if it is I would take it to another dealer for a second opinion, otherwise take it back and complain that they have not fixed the reported problem and indeed have made it worse. Be firm but not shouty.

There is always a chance that you have had to top it up due to them having drained the system and left air in it. As the engine runs and gets up to temp the air will be expelled and the coolant level will drop and need topping up. This should settle pretty quickly and need no further top ups.

oops sorry i thought i clicked II my bad yes if someone could move id be grateful.

And no not under warranty typically all this started to happen literally a week after the warranty expired

Edited by rsootarsing

oops sorry i thought i clicked II my bad yes if someone could move id be grateful.

And no not under warranty typically all this started to happen literally a week after the warranty expired

In that case I would be taking it back to the garage and politely but firmly asking them what they are playing at and can they sort it out please.

As said if the water pump has been replaced and they haven't got the engine up to temp and run for a while then it is possible there could have been air locks in the system which have worked their way out resulting in a top up, but if this the case it should stop after a couple of top ups.