Gremlins.

On the trip from Canberra to Wollongong today I experienced an annoying fault. The up change paddle on my steering wheel refused to work but the down change paddle continued to function normally. I resorted to using the floor change and started to think I was going to have to spend more time sorting this out with the dealer; this made me even more annoyed. My wife suggested I stop the car, turn everything off and wait a few minutes before starting up again to see if it would re-boot the system. Smart girl. Before I had a chance to pull over all of a sudden the paddle started working BUT there was a strange after effect: all the MFD readings were re-set! I haven't yet checked to see if all my settings for mirror, seats, lights etc. have been re-set to factory settings yet but if that is the case then all the more annoying. Has anyone else had any similar experiences?

It must have been the weather today. I was driving from Orange to Melbourne and had the Columbus freeze and reset half a dozen times as i headed off. After that there were no other issues. I suspect the car didn't like NSW. ;-)

hi smartie

my Columbus used to take 2-4 minutes to start in the mornings Skoda replaced it for me under warranty best car I have had apart from the engine vibration I had at 1500-2000 revs.driving a mk2 ford kuga 2lt 160bhp awd power shift  now very nice. car engine and g/box silky smooth don't think it quite as good as the superb would have liked this engine in the superb

bill

On the trip from Canberra to Wollongong today I experienced an annoying fault. The up change paddle on my steering wheel refused to work but the down change paddle continued to function normally. I resorted to using the floor change and started to think I was going to have to spend more time sorting this out with the dealer; this made me even more annoyed. My wife suggested I stop the car, turn everything off and wait a few minutes before starting up again to see if it would re-boot the system. Smart girl. Before I had a chance to pull over all of a sudden the paddle started working BUT there was a strange after effect: all the MFD readings were re-set! I haven't yet checked to see if all my settings for mirror, seats, lights etc. have been re-set to factory settings yet but if that is the case then all the more annoying. Has anyone else had any similar experiences?

The electrical connection between the steering wheel and the steering column (traditionally known as the clock spring although I'm not sure they're still an actual clock spring) is a common point of failure.  It usually manifests as an airbag warning light but your problem could be similar.  It will log a 'signal lost' code.  If you're under warranty, get it checked out and replaced.