Temporary headlight beam adjustment for continental driving

Hello,

We're off for a day trip to France later this month and given it may rain/be dark whilst we're there the prospect of adjusting the headlights arises.

I know that there is a mechanical adjustment/bodge available in the headlamp unit itself to slice off the 'flick-up' part of the beam but as we're only going to be there for less than 24 hours it does seem to be a bit of a hassle.

Therefore, I'm wondering what others' experience with the stick on beam converters is like?

Last time I was on the continent it was in a Fiat Barchetta which had the afore-mentioned stickers applied - unfortunately they peeled off the protective plastic coating on the perspex & I'm keen to avoid this happening again..

So.. a: do the MK2 pre-facelift headlights suffer unduly if you use the stick-on converters?

b: are they easy(ish) to position correctly?

c: could I just get away with dropping the headlight aim inside the car to its lowest setting for the duration?

I'd rather avoid annoying our chums on the other side of La Manche, not to mention la Gendamerie so any thoughts gratefully received..

Thanks in advance,

Dave.

You don't say which headlights you have, if Xenons & maxidot then select continental driving option from the menu.  If halogens then flattening the beam is probably quicker / easier & cheaper than stick on adapters.  See this thread for further info http://briskoda.net/...ght-adjustment/  it's very easy.  Just have a practice before you go if you've not pulled the headlight units out before & check the retaining levers are not stuck, add a bit of spray lubricant if necessary to ensure they release easily.

Enjoy your trip & don't forget all the other kit our French neighbours require you to have in the car.

You don't say which headlights you have, if Xenons & maxidot then select continental driving option from the menu.  If halogens then flattening the beam is probably quicker / easier & cheaper than stick on adapters.  See this thread for further info http://briskoda.net/...ght-adjustment/  it's very easy.  Just have a practice before you go if you've not pulled the headlight units out before & check the retaining levers are not stuck, add a bit of spray lubricant if necessary to ensure they release easily.

Enjoy your trip & don't forget all the other kit our French neighbours require you to have in the car.

Thanks for that - I did actually say that my headlights are the standard, pre-facelift non-HID variety but for some bizarre reason my original post got truncated - finger trouble on my part I fear.. :doh:

I know the article you mention & will have another look (no Maxidot for me, sadly) - is it really a simple job?

Thanks, oh, and yes, I have the breathalysers, dayglo tabards, spare bulbs, warning triangle...etc..etc..  !!

D :)

Edited by ethel

Don't worry about the breathalysers - although the requirement is in theory still there, in February this year they indefinitely suspended the fine for not carrying them. Spare bulbs aren't a requirement in France. Enough Dayglow tunics is a requirement and remember to keep at least 1 of them in the cabin with you (so driver can go to the boot to collect enough for the rest of the passengers).

Based on the experience with my FL I would say it's a simple job & easier than I was expecting after reading the other thread.  I think the pre-FL is slightly different but can't be much more difficult.  If your in SW Surrey you can't be far from me in Guildford.  PM if you want a bit of moral support while giving it a go.

• Like 1

Don't worry about the breathalysers - although the requirement is in theory still there, in February this year they indefinitely suspended the fine for not carrying them. Spare bulbs aren't a requirement in France. Enough Dayglow tunics is a requirement and remember to keep at least 1 of them in the cabin with you (so driver can go to the boot to collect enough for the rest of the passengers).

Cheers - I'd read about the breathalyser rule, but to be honest, I'd rather have them in the car anyway - they're still in date from a previous trip & Sod's Law says they'll change the rule in the approx 16 hours we're going to be over there.. :wall:

As for the other bits, they're always on board anyway (and a tunic lives in the cubby under the seat).

Cheers for the pointers - there's always something you forget.

I just wish we could still go over on the hovercraft - awesome things those were..  

You can do the headlight adjustment in the time it takes the kids and the wife to walk to the toilets and back whilst on the train in the Eurotunnel. I know cos I did it. Just be aware if you leave it until on the train, they do like to park you quite close to the car in front.

In the past when I have been in France........especially in summer (when it's not dark much) I just used the beam adjuster in the cabin to put the lights in the lowest position.

However this was not on an Octavia, but a Rover 600 I used to have. The range of adjustment possible with the in cabin adjuster was very large.....so you could get the beam really low. Not sure how low the Octavia lights go......Mine's got Xenons so I don't have a cabin adjuster.      

Edited by booke23

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions - think I'm going to take some brave pills & try the adjustment inside the headlamps..

Cheers,

Dave.

Spare bulbs are a requirement in France BTW, as is a first aid kit and all your docs.

I'm not sure if all the "what to take to France" sites mention it, but since the priority laws were changed, pedestrians now walk straight out on to the crossing without looking.  This can be a bit scary.  Cars on your right have priority too, unless there is a solid line across their road.  Quite a few French drivers ignore the last bit and keep coming anyway.  Hours of fun.  Be extra vigilent in quaint old towns, many of the junction markings are worn away.

As polycarbonate is highly susceptable to any form of organic chemicals/hydrocarbons, including solvents and many types of glues.  I never stick anything to mine.  I know they are susposed to have a protective coating, but what if there's a scratch or chip?

I have used the in-cabin beam adjusters since 1999 (my first octavia) and never had a problem.  Anyway, if its dark you should be tucked up in a decent restaurant, thinking how good it is you don't have to do the yellow thing anymore.

My Dad used to have a set of yellow bulbs for the family Peugeot 505 which he took great pleasure in installing for the yearly jaunt across the channel.

Maybe I was imagining it but if we arrived back in the UK from France at night, the white headlights really did seem very harsh by comparison to the yellow variety we'd got used to over there.

Ta for the tips - I've always treated French roads with extreme caution since seeing absolute carnage on a roundabout near Rouen once - two cars, both French & both convinced they needen't heed the 'Vous n'avez pas la priorite' signs with inevitable consequences.. :|

Spare bulbs are a requirement in France BTW, as is a first aid kit and all your docs.

I'm not sure if all the "what to take to France" sites mention it, but since the priority laws were changed, pedestrians now walk straight out on to the crossing without looking.  This can be a bit scary.  Cars on your right have priority too, unless there is a solid line across their road.  Quite a few French drivers ignore the last bit and keep coming anyway.  Hours of fun.  Be extra vigilent in quaint old towns, many of the junction markings are worn away.

As polycarbonate is highly susceptable to any form of organic chemicals/hydrocarbons, including solvents and many types of glues.  I never stick anything to mine.  I know they are susposed to have a protective coating, but what if there's a scratch or chip?

I have used the in-cabin beam adjusters since 1999 (my first octavia) and never had a problem.  Anyway, if its dark you should be tucked up in a decent restaurant, thinking how good it is you don't have to do the yellow thing anymore.

Edited by ethel

If you were a bit nearer, you could have borrowed my pre-FL headlight covers, which have beam adaptors permanently stuck to them.

I always get strange looks in the ferry queue fitting those! :D

• Like 1

I would just adjust them with the lever inbuilt it is fairly quick and easy no tools required. Carl's pre FL and my FL guides below.

Pre FL http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/280484-european-headlight-adjustment-octy-ii-pre-fl-halogen-lights/

FL http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/280456-european-headlight-adjustment-octy-ii-fl-halogen-lights/

The stick on's in my experience fall off if you don't clean and stick them on properly and when on properly a nightmare to get off leaving glue on lens. Work cars where they must be used the other way around going to UK from here, some are more or less damaged from them. Heat at this time of year baking them on there for a day and especially if lights on seem to cook on.