Spax RSX Coilover Suspension Kit Skoda Octavia (04 on) 2005 2.0TD [140]

I am going to buy the Spax RSX coilover suspension kit. my friend has them on his golf and they are a very nice ride and good handling. they are also cheap and £100 off right now. for a price of £550.

How do i know which ones to order 50mm or 55mm diameter front struts?

50mm - http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/coilover-suspension-kits/car/skoda/octavia-04-on/2005/2-0td-140/spax-rsx-coilover-suspension-kit-lowers-35-65mm

55mm - http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/coilover-suspension-kits/car/skoda/octavia-04-on/2005/2-0td-140/spax-rsx-coilover-suspension-kit-lowers-35-65mm-2

does anyone else have these on a skoda already and if so what do you think?

Thanks

Edited by DRYDEN
  • Like 1

nice one thanks. i just order them up! should have em on by next friday. cant wait. i'll pop a review on here once they have been on a while and ive had a chance to have the damping adjusted around (hard/soft) :)

cant wait!

i had them on my vRS, but sold them. 50mm H&R springs where lower than Spax at rock bottom, and much travel in the springs. I rubbed more wheel with this than i did with FK 4cm lower. But they had good handeling, so good suspension on trackday etc.

I really dont want to be the guy that regrets not getting bilstein B12's. hope they are good. and dont make a horrible harsh ride. hopefully the adjustable damping will be able to rectify any harshness to make it minimal.

• 2 weeks later...

i will get a review on here once i can drive the car which was out of MOT. I went to pick it up last friday but to get the old broken spring off they had to cut if off. They cut through the ABS sensor while doing that... im not a mechanic and dont really know the layout of where that would be/how they managed to do that. Very annoying! have to wait until thursday when they can get a genuine skoda part in. this was all done at an F1 auto centre by the way. FAIL!

• 3 months later...

OK, been quite a while since getting the coilover set. i have had time to play with it and i feel its set up pretty well now. So:

The LOOK:

Partly I bought the kit to lower the vehicle, even on the lowest settings its not really that low. no real issues with scrapping front bumper or catching anything underneath the car while driving in the city or on countryside non-primary/B roads. Honestly i was expecting the way the car sits on the lowest spring setting would be the heighest it could be and you could lower it from there (the kits 35-65mm drop). It does still look nice though and if i get some 17" or even maybe 18" on there it should eat up the remaining arch gap.

The RIDE:

I wanted a firmer feel that didnt comprimise comfort too much. I knew it would be firmer but was expecting the kit to do as stated in the marketing copy which, does claim on the softer setting should feel the same as your standard suspension. I do have it set low but even with the shocks set soft its firmer, not too firm but i would have thought that level of firmness would have been just before the halfway mark from soft to firm. Essentially even the soft setting feels firm, but having the car set low on the springs does also make it feel firm. To acheive this standard feel you do have to have the springs set high and the shocks set soft and then obviously whats the point in getting the kit.

I wanted the car to handle well while cornering hard, and to allow me to corner harder/faster then the standard shocks and springs would allow. This has certainly been acheived. 

OVERALL:

this kit is quite firm but not too firm that my 35 mile each way commute on primary/A roads is uncomfortable. The suspension has made the car a non-primary/B road battler and it handles those lumpy conrners well. The car feels very stable in the 100mph region which it most certainly did not before. There is a 28 stage shock adjustment setting knob on each shock. The front is very easy to adjust simply by lifting the bonnet, the rear shock adjusters are reached easily by lying on the ground next to the car and just reaching around the wheel, can be a bit messy now its winter.

Once you have the ride height set up correctly its no more then a 10 minute job switching it from soft commute to a very hard, firm ride.

IN HINDSIGHT:

not so sure i have enjoyed the process of geting the ride height set correctly. This effects weight distribution which, effects the way the car corners. I do like how easy it is to switch up the shocks firmness which on the firmest setting is still effective but very firm. I think i would get a set height spring and adjustable shocks if i ever change this again or change car and want to make that feel sportier.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IF YOU live in nearby id be more then happy to take you for a drive and show you first hand.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll add some pics to my profile soon