Unable to solve limp-problem

Hi,

I have during the last few years experienced my Octy 1.9 TDI AUT '03 90HP going into "limp-mode" a few times. Now during the last 2-3 months I'm having the problem almost every time I'm adding power at speeds above 100 km/h.

Got the following readout from mobilscan:

P0234, Turbo / compressor "A" boost pressure too high mode

P0237, Turbo / compressor turbo pressure sensor "A" signal too low

P0113, Intake air temperature sensor 1 signal too high (Row 1)

Recently I have replaced the MAP-sensor, all the vacum hoses, diesel and air filters, cleaned the EGR and found a broken wire on a sensor placed just next to the EGR, with no effect.

Any ideas anyone?

Best regards

/C

The first code you've got will put it into limp mode. Have a look at the live data and give it the large one up the road. See what boost pressure you're getting. Chances are it'll be boosting too high to trigger that code.

If it is too high, check all the turbo actuator pipes and solenoid control valve. I'm not sure, but I think the turbo with be a variable vein type for pressure regulation, it could be seizing up.

Sent from Tapatalk 2

Thanks guys, No sensor replacement?? Thinking the intake air temp sensor could cause the problem..

@sesachc, How was your Mr Muscle experience?

Well i'll describe my problem, at first thought my turbo actuator was to blame so i swaped it out and noticed my wastegate was sticking  instead, i had to use a screwdriver to prise the waste gate lever up and down, little wd40 on the outside of the turbo with mr muscle shoved down the turbos throat, and now i can freely use my thumb with a bit of force applyed with the turbo actuator attached to move it freely up and down, so all in all it worked an absolute treat boosting great

the 90TDI will either have a wastegate (early 90s) or a VNT (later 90s) based turbo.  If it has a wastegate, then I am not sure that the Mr Muscle process will actually help.

I do find that on my car that I need to apply the Mr Muscle process about every 4 months though.... :-(

Well I'am saying waste gate I could be mistaking in what I'am calling it but the lever the turbo actuator attaches to was solid, when I did the Mr Muscle treatment it was free as a bird, I could move it freely with my finger, then once attached to the turbo actuator some pressure applyed with my thumb and it was still moving smoothly, so I gather I have a Vnt then ? :p since my car is a 2001 tdi with engine code alh ?

Mine '03 1.9 TDI AUT (1U5) has a wastegate, not VNT and the wastegate lever moves freely.. I have given it a litte massage and some wd40 and I will check the turbo actuator pipes and solenoid control valve.

No Mr Muscle then? Or should I try anyway?

The Mr Muscle is there is help clean up the soot around the movable vane inside the turbo.  If these aren't there, I can't see Mr Muscle being able to do much, imho.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

Have now changed the n75 and the oneway valve going to the egr.

It solved the problem  :rofl:

Not sure if it was the one or the other or the combination. But the oneway valve was clearly defect.

Thanks again you all. Especially "mbames" for the input above.

In DK the above parts was £30 at the scrapyard..

• Like 1

Have you checked your MAF wiring? I had a toledo 1.9 that was constantly going into limp, cleaned turbo, replaced MAF, codes read, nothing found ,eventually I tried a 2nd MAF that I knew worked, no different, to me this pointed to the car loom being at fault. So I took it to my auto sparky and told him to check the harness plug, he said he wanted to make his own diagnoses first, I told him I'd done that and to check it or I would take the car elsewhere. 

Long story short, car loom was not making good connection in back of plug to the MAF, he resoldered and that sorted the problem.

• Like 1