TAXI DRIVERS? HOW HAS YOUR SUPERB TREAT YOU DID YOU CONISDER THE AVENSIS

Depends on lots of things doesn't it? As per the new Superb, there has not yet been listed severe engine problems on this forum. I follow it everyday. VAG though are known to have a "don't care" attitude against their customers, where service has been reported 'very bad' by a lot of members, not only on this forum, but several others. 

Toyota on the other hand, service vice, is known to acknowledge almost any problem discovered by customers and give on the best services in the world. At least this is based on my knowledge. I don't know about the car itself. I suspect they would not be error free, just like any other car and brand.

LOOKING FOR A NEW TAXI CONSIDERING A 1.9 OCTAVIA/SUPERB OR A TOYOTA AVENSIS.

PLEASE POST YOUR OPINIONS AND REVIEWS.

IS IT AS RELIABLE AS THEY SAY?

YOU CAN PM TOO IF YOU LIKE.

Thank you very much for your input.

Nice to know that have vag have a  'dont care' attitude.

It is the mk1 superb upto 2007 that I'm looking at.

I understand that no car is error free, Just want a reliable one as the vectra c 1.9 cdti has not at all been reliable.

and when it comes to reliability Toyota springs to mind due to previous experiences.

I don't know how good Toyota diesels are of that vintage... might be worth looking on a Toyota specific forum for such info (if you are going diesel).

A mate at work has an Avensis petrol which has a rather unhealthy oil drinking habit...

But I think you will almost certainly have less trouble with "silly" things on a Toyota, such as water leaks, door locks, electrics, etc...

I don't know how good Toyota diesels are of that vintage... might be worth looking on a Toyota specific forum for such info (if you are going diesel).

A mate at work has an Avensis petrol which has a rather unhealthy oil drinking habit...

But I think you will almost certainly have less trouble with "silly" things on a Toyota, such as water leaks, door locks, electrics, etc...

Yes I have heard the petrol vvti engine have oil burning issues.

Yes it would be a good idea to ask on the toyota forum. but first I want to know what people views are against them. 

I suppose the only advice here is going be superb specific. my own opinion of the superb is based on 8 month ownership and browsing these forums.

It all depends on the condition of the 2nd hand car. There are plenty about, and superbs of that age will have problems unless they had a vigalant owner. Water leaks seem to be it's most common and annoying faults, along with others that are common on this forum. So you would want to buy one that has been well looked after.

Engine wise it seems to be 1.9 awx is the best for reliability and mileage covered, but needs to be maintained to do so? I've has both Toyota petrol and skoda diesel. I dont think I would rate one over the other for reliability. Superb is more comfortable.

Wouldn't say you could go wrong if you found a good one of either!

D

I suppose the only advice here is going be superb specific. my own opinion of the superb is based on 8 month ownership and browsing these forums.

It all depends on the condition of the 2nd hand car. There are plenty about, and superbs of that age will have problems unless they had a vigalant owner. Water leaks seem to be it's most common and annoying faults, along with others that are common on this forum. So you would want to buy one that has been well looked after.

Engine wise it seems to be 1.9 awx is the best for reliability and mileage covered, but needs to be maintained to do so? I've has both Toyota petrol and skoda diesel. I dont think I would rate one over the other for reliability. Superb is more comfortable.

Wouldn't say you could go wrong if you found a good one of either!

D

Thank you.. what are the annoying faults? and what are the common faults.

Yes I will be buying one that's been looked after. I'm expecting a few niggles as i understand I am buying a used car.

Got mine (Edition 100 Auto 1.9PD 130) with 39,000 and now up to 93,000 in a bit less that 2 years.

Has been a great car so far.  

I've had replaced (under warranty)

1 x parking sensor (faulty)

1 x gear selector knob loose (was like it when I bought it)

1 x EGR valve (was leaking oil around the place a bit and they offered to swap it, so why not)

1 x CV joint gaiter

I've put on the car:

1 x CV joint gaiter

1 x Air conditioning blower fan

I've fixed on the car:

Pollen filter seal

Door seal

Maintenance-wise I've put a cambelt and assosciated bits on it, a full set of brakes all round and 8 tyres since getting it, plus services.

I don't think the above is a lot for what is now a 7 year old luxury cruiser coming up for 100K.

Got mine (Edition 100 Auto 1.9PD 130) with 39,000 and now up to 93,000 in a bit less that 2 years.

Has been a great car so far.  

I've had replaced (under warranty)

1 x parking sensor (faulty)

1 x gear selector knob loose (was like it when I bought it)

1 x EGR valve (was leaking oil around the place a bit and they offered to swap it, so why not)

1 x CV joint gaiter

I've put on the car:

1 x CV joint gaiter

1 x Air conditioning blower fan

I've fixed on the car:

Pollen filter seal

Door seal

Maintenance-wise I've put a cambelt and assosciated bits on it, a full set of brakes all round and 8 tyres since getting it, plus services.

I don't think the above is a lot for what is now a 7 year old luxury cruiser coming up for 100K.

no definitely not. keep it going, good luck!

Yup.  I've never run a car til it drops but I think this will be the one.  That will see me out and into a new shape Superb in 2-3 years time hopefully.

I guess the only thing I would add is that the 1.9 (at least mine, and I hear most others) idle quite noisily.  I do a 110 mile round trip each day and for that drive the car is bliss, and at 50-70 you can't really hear engine just the rumble of the road, but when I'm scooting around town and stuck at lights etc (which I guess a taxi does a fair bit) the idle does annoy me.

Yup.  I've never run a car til it drops but I think this will be the one.  That will see me out and into a new shape Superb in 2-3 years time hopefully.

I guess the only thing I would add is that the 1.9 (at least mine, and I hear most others) idle quite noisily.  I do a 110 mile round trip each day and for that drive the car is bliss, and at 50-70 you can't really hear engine just the rumble of the road, but when I'm scooting around town and stuck at lights etc (which I guess a taxi does a fair bit) the idle does annoy me.

Yes your right. I have been at lights and heard the noise and looked round and seen it was a octavia.

Don't go anywhere near the 2.0 PD.

rotodiesel.

is it due to the oil pump failure?

• 1 month later...

I currently run a 2005 1.9TDI 130 AWX MK1. I bought it with 75K miles on the clock. It's just about to turn 160K (In under 3 years) and still as tight as the day I got it. Some faults along the way, nothing major. 

Best of luck,

Rob

mines been a taxi all its life 2007 comfort  1.9 tdi.

now got nearly 190 k on .

the new avensis have problems with hinges on the newer ones

not made for taxi slamming customers.no a few who have had prolems

with door hinges.the older ones are better but have heard of a few

gearbox problems.

on the whole skoda problems tend to be irritating nigglie problems.

mines been a taxi all its life 2007 comfort  1.9 tdi.

now got nearly 190 k on .

the new avensis have problems with hinges on the newer ones

not made for taxi slamming customers.no a few who have had prolems

with door hinges.the older ones are better but have heard of a few

gearbox problems.

on the whole skoda problems tend to be irritating nigglie problems.

what kind of gearbox problems on the 2003-2009 model?

new avensis hinges 2009+

can you advise me on the problems skoda has?

like i said most problems  are wear and tear related.
off the top  of my head airbag lights, door lock cables
pinch bolts on suspension,heater unit all can be overcome
quite resonably.

gearbox problems have resulted in replacement in recon box.
if you want further advice on avensis  i can ask a  few local
taxi drivers and get a list.lol

Let me give you my two chips!

- The older avensis 1999>2003 D4D - 1CD-FTV - were the best avensis made! (110hp)

2003>2006 d4d 1cd-ftv - same sengine as above but tuned 116HP, bigger inside and very good reliable passanger luggers.

I know many cars above that have crossed 450k on orginal engines and gearboxes.!

2006 (56 plate)> 2009 1AD-FTV 2.0 126hp with vanos vains turbos.

The earlier cars had head gasket issues, and if you were lucky toyota replaced the entire engines with new shortblocks and updated headgasket.

If you want my advise, stay away from these cars.

2009 (newshape, facelift), to 2013.

1ad-ftv, same engine as above but we have two running and have passed over 100k with no hiccups, these cars have had the updated headgasket on the build sheet. they are also very good on fuel.!

I know nothing about skodas, apart from the issues the guys have had are

1- blocks cracking.

2- timing belts chewed up casusing oweners to have to replace engines

3- turbo issues

Let me give you my two chips! - The older avensis 1999>2003 D4D - 1CD-FTV - were the best avensis made! (110hp) 2003>2006 d4d 1cd-ftv - same sengine as above but tuned 116HP, bigger inside and very good reliable passanger luggers. I know many cars above that have crossed 450k on orginal engines and gearboxes.! 2006 (56 plate)> 2009 1AD-FTV 2.0 126hp with vanos vains turbos. The earlier cars had head gasket issues, and if you were lucky toyota replaced the entire engines with new shortblocks and updated headgasket. If you want my advise, stay away from these cars. 2009 (newshape, facelift), to 2013. 1ad-ftv, same engine as above but we have two running and have passed over 100k with no hiccups, these cars have had the updated headgasket on the build sheet. they are also very good on fuel.! I know nothing about skodas, apart from the issues the guys have had are 1- blocks cracking. 2- timing belts chewed up casusing oweners to have to replace engines 3- turbo issues

Thank you, the one I was looking at was the 2003-2006 1cd-ftv engine, as I have heard about headgasket issues on the ad engine. I have inboxed you please see.

• 1 month later...

Hi I have a 2006 superb 1.8t auto driving as a taxi in Dublin for 2 years.

Last January I got car converted to LPG best decision I have made,it works

out that every €200 I spent on petrol it now costs €110 on gas fantastic savings,

There is also no loss of power plus if you run out of gas car switches over to

petrol itself

mjjs2