Protection and bling?

kilted

Thinking about buying some cill protectors (such as the 4 shown on here - http://www.superskoda.com/Yeti/ ) for the Yeti (and SWMBO's Citigo) as the large flat area looks to be very susceptible to scratches (the drivers door has one due to the previous owners).

Do these come with sufficiently strong adhesive? I want it to be a fit and forget job.

Also does anyone have any views on the black versus the silver? Tempted to go for the black but not sure how it would look compared with the silver with the body colour of the car. If I go for the silver, do I go for the standard or the 4X4 version?

Also anyone fitted the LED lights to the boot? Is it just a straight swap? Its badly in need of more light.

Thinking about buying some cill protectors (such as the 4 shown on here - http://www.superskoda.com/Yeti/ ) for the Yeti (and SWMBO's Citigo) as the large flat area looks to be very susceptible to scratches (the drivers door has one due to the previous owners).

Do these come with sufficiently strong adhesive? I want it to be a fit and forget job.

I fitted the black sill protectors to my Yeti, after I noticed the sills starting to get scratched up by careless passengers' feet.  AFAIK they are a standard Skoda accessory so you should be able to get them through your Skoda dealer - although Superskoda might still be cheaper.  IIRC they come with double-sided tape already in place, you just need to peel off the backing and press them in position.  Mine have stayed firmly put since being fitted so it seems to be perfectly up to the job.  Fitting the ones to the rear doors is a little bit tricky as you have to make sure you get the curves in the sill protectors matched up properly with the shape of the door sill, otherwise you'll have gaps and/or it won't stick properly.  For the front doors the only question is where to actually position them on the sill.  (I think Skoda do a template - sold separately, of course - to get the positioning they way they intended, but it's easy enough to do it by eye.)

Also does anyone have any views on the black versus the silver? Tempted to go for the black but not sure how it would look compared with the silver with the body colour of the car. If I go for the silver, do I go for the standard or the 4X4 version?

My car is black, so for me the silver ones would definitely have been "bling".  The 4x4 version more so, I'd have thought - but at the end of the day it's your car so if you want to bling it up, no-one can stop you!

Also anyone fitted the LED lights to the boot? Is it just a straight swap? Its badly in need of more light.

If you're just replacing the standard single boot light with one of the LED lights in the Superskoda kit then it's just a straight swap.  If you want to install both then you'll need to run a feed to the second one off the wiring harness, and find somewhere to fit it.  I think someone on here did do that - the search function might help to locate their description of how they achieved it.

Have a look at my old Yeti in the Yeti projects section, or click on the link in my signature, all discussed in there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My sills are rather scarred with a rash where debris from the wheels has been hitting the, I have mud flaps but they only protest 4" behind the mudflap.

Looks like the areas behind the wheels as been shot blasted, your sill covers would prevent this but would be susceptible to the damage themselves.

Sorry, I see you are on about the inner sill protectors when the door is open. I was on about the outer sills.  

I think your strips are purely cosmetic as the scratches will appear on the edge of the sill.

Hasn't anyone tried rubber cill protection?  I've been toying with the idea of sticking tailored strips of black rubber matting - complete coverage.  There should be enough clearance below the door panel, I think? 

Those LED lightbulbs look funky.   :p

http://www.superskoda.com/Skoda/YETI/Yeti-MEGA-POWER-LED-position-light-bulbs-KI-R

I may get a pair to replace the Xenon bulbs. :)

I bought a pair like that and they still threw a fault on the Light Warning!

My sills are rather scarred with a rash where debris from the wheels has been hitting the, I have mud flaps but they only protest 4" behind the mudflap.

Looks like the areas behind the wheels as been shot blasted, your sill covers would prevent this but would be susceptible to the damage themselves.

Sorry, I see you are on about the inner sill protectors when the door is open. I was on about the outer sills.  

I think your strips are purely cosmetic as the scratches will appear on the edge of the sill.

James,

Keep up at the back! :giggle:

Good - confirmed what I had though (and that other people had had the same issue with scratches there).

Will get them ordered up asap. Think I will go for the 4X4 bling version unless SWMBO has other ideas :yes: