Test drive advice?

Drive the DSG from cold, find a steep hill and try a three-point turn. Look out for lurching, delays before drive engages etc.

The cambelt is four years, irrespective of mileage so this one will be due.

Moving between drive and reverse usually shows up any strange noises or behaviour. More so when the oil is cold and the gearbox is under additional load, such as on a hill.

Try a search on here for DSG, a few little DSG niggles have been reported over the years so you can learn a lot.

The Elegance is loaded with toys so check things like the Columbus (Sat Nav) maps are upto date, other things include the cornering headlights and electric seats - all quite complicated and expensive to fix.

I think the key is to take your time and don't be rushed when looking around the car. If the seller is stood over you then tell him you'll come and get him when your done.

Moving between drive and reverse usually shows up any strange noises or behaviour. More so when the oil is cold and the gearbox is under additional load, such as on a hill.

Try a search on here for DSG, a few little DSG niggles have been reported over the years so you can learn a lot.

The Elegance is loaded with toys so check things like the Columbus (Sat Nav) maps are upto date, other things include the cornering headlights and electric seats - all quite complicated and expensive to fix.

I think the key is to take your time and don't be rushed when looking around the car. If the seller is stood over you then tell him you'll come and get him when your done.

Just got the same with 46000 mls with park assist from a Skoda Dealer , had a full service cam belt ,tensioner ,water pump, dsg oil and filter change done by dealer, Skoda approved 1 year warranty , good milage to buy at IF all the necessary service work is carried out otherwise would be a around £700 to get this done at a Skoda dealer so you should check this out, I had some misgivings with regard to the dsg box  hopefully seems fine at the moment,  towing my caravan down to the West Country  from Norfolk for a few weeks will be a better  test for the dsg than it gets in Norfolk, whom are considering buying the car from and will it have a genuine warranty with it ?

Ensure cambelt and DSG oil change done.  Check G450 sensor (back left of engine) is "made in Malaysia" not "Made in US".  Look for one with handsfree already updated to take iPhone, check if Columbus updated to take 32Gb SD cards \ 7 digit postcodes.

Oh, and get a black one, with cream leather, make sure brolly still in door, check for codes after test drive, find a seller willing to take some time / make you a brew.

In fact, buy mine :)

Ensure cambelt and DSG oil change done.  Check G450 sensor (back left of engine) is "made in Malaysia" not "Made in US".  Look for one with handsfree already updated to take iPhone, check if Columbus updated to take 32Gb SD cards \ 7 digit postcodes.

Oh, and get a black one, with cream leather, make sure brolly still in door, check for codes after test drive, find a seller willing to take some time / make you a brew.

In fact, buy mine :)

After purchase I  realized no brolly " the previous owner always keeps them " was the expiation and would not replace it if I had noticed it before purchase and said "no brolly no sale " it would have been surely have been  replaced, with regard to the other items you mention I had no knowledge of these issues had the car a few weeks now, I would assume to late to throw those issues at them now, good info though. The OP will frighten the life out of the seller will all the info he will receive.

All, thanks for the guidance. Decided on an estate now. Only issue are the cup holders. Can you even fit Starbucks cups in them. Looked like just red bull cans!

Any thoughts on these two:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201308038140481/usedcars?logcode=visc

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201308228431376/usedcars?logcode=visc

Yes. I think I prefer the black colour (although only when carnaubad), plus it has electronic boot opening, I am not bothered about the park assist so much, more front and rear sensors.

I wanted to view the lower mileage one on the other thread, but it had already gone, presumably to the OP.

Silver one does look smart, although it looks white on my tablet!!

IMO park assist is just a gimmick, can't physically remember the last time I did a parallel park.

Electronic boot would be more useful esp if coded to open and close via key and internal switch.

Black would be more difficult to manage from paint condition POV.

Tough choice.

Actually there is no button to the right of the gear stick on the black one so just rear parking sensors I think. Shame as think this is needed as used to it on passat.

Any haggling tips if all is good? No PX.

Cheers!

You need to make sure its got:

Mats

Flaps

Full tank

Full detail and finish with zymol royal glaze

4 new tyres

Autoglym car kit in the boot

New spare (un used of course!)

£1000 John Lewis vouchers

2 week trip to Mauritius

5 year no questions asked warranty

Seriously just use common sense. Look for a smooth drive, no vibration from gearbox or road wheels. It should drive straight at speed with zero pulling to the sides. Check service history. Go on the motorway.

IMO if you start going on about umbrellas and things that are not important then you will miss the key items.

If it is an approved used then you will have the 12 month warranty to fall back on.