Turbo replacement - gaskets/tips?

I could not find a guide on replacing the turbo - so I may create one when doing mine. Would be handy to have peoples input as to the swap.

• The turbo I will be looking at is from a BLT - mine is ASZ so I know I will need EGR blankers.
  • The oil feed can be pesky (BLT & ASZ oil feed in same location once clocked?) so buy a replacement in advance.
  • Clocking - an issue with turbo balance/can be done at home?
  • Gaskets - which ones will I need, given what I will be taking off (in through the top looks like inlet and exhaust manifold (turbo is part of it). Out through the bottom, may struggle for space but it would only be turbo outlet and manifold?

Many thanks,

Nick

You don't need to clock a BLT turbo to fit an ASZ engine :S

The housings are exactly the same, it's just the cast exhaust manifolds that are different - hence the need to blank the EGR holes.

I put my details in to my first replacement thread located over here

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/259207-tonight-i-have-mostlynow-with-turbo-innards-images/page-3

I just rang the dealer with a long list of bits i needed and they priced it all and faxed (yeah i know!) the quote back acrossE TKA has it listed as the very descriptive "oil pipe" - part number 038 145 771 Gnumber 9 in this image from herese0_014535114.gif

Shopping list is as follows:

inlet manifold gasket - dealer

Exhaust manifold gasket - ECP

turbo->downpipe gasket - ECP

Turbo->EGR gasket - ECP

Oil return gasket - dealer

Oil return pipe - dealer

Oil filter - ECP

Sump plug - ECP

new exhaust nuts - dealer

air filter - ECP

pollen filter - ECP

fuel filter - ECP

Obviously fuel air and pollen filters aren't essential to getting it back up and running but might as well do a full service while we are there.

I also already have 5 litres of Quantum oil in the garage so no need to put that in the trolley.

Both my turbos swaps due to failure have been done out of the top.

Which was a load easier that trying to squeeze it out past the engine block and meant we didn't need to get it up in the air so could do them on the driveway.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

If I delete the EGR on my 2004 ASZ - will I get a warning light? I have 'mapped egr to run low' using the usual VCDS method, but obviously this would take it out of the equation completely (leave EGR in place connected up but blank both ends)?

Theres a difference between deleting it and disconnecting it.

If you do a full delete and remove it and replace with a straight pipe you'll get a warning light which'll need mapping out.

If you do a disconnection (as i did when i fitted the wrong turbo - remove the brass looking pipe, between EGR and exhaust manifold and blank off the 2 resulting holes) leaving the EGR in place and all the vac pipes attached you'll get no warning lights.

Mine had run faultlessly for 3 months following a disconnection.

Although make sure you get the OEM full on EGR gaskets from your local dealer as a trackday caused my standard OEM VW paper & metal gasket to disintegrate.