Ahhhh first problem

Hi all, driving down the road today and I got the message "Engine fault - Workshop!" Glow plug light flashes and yellow engine symbol appears.  That sinking feeling in my stomach not knowing if suddenly there was going to be a bang and lots of smoke.

Thanks to Noble Motorsport in Chesterfield and £36.00 later they told me that the fault was that the ECU was not able to read the turbo sensor or something.  Car feels laggy and down on power when they took it for a spin.  Thier conclusion was that the turbo has had a fault and is stuck on low speed. 

He said that worst case is that it will need a new turbo all in could be £1000.  After I picked myself up off the floor I thanked him for his advice took a card and left.  This could be the nail in the coffin for the superb and it may have to go...... :'(

Has anyone else had this problem?

Damo

I have had something similar, may be the same thing but my locall dealer fixed it with a turbo repair kit and it cost about £ 250 so dont give up on it yet. The car has gone into limp mode thats the reason it feels down on power.

A new turbo because it feels "low on power", I assume they were joking?

The flashing glowplug light means the car is likely in limp-home mode and engine power is therefore reduced.

Did they read the fault code? After charging you £36 I hope they told you what the code was.

You can search for the code here...

http://www.airbagnews.com/PDF/Fehlercodes%20VAG%20english.pdf

• Like 1

Get a full scan done.

Don't panic. Mine has done this twice.

The glow plug flashing is the cars way of telling you there is a problem. It could be about 5-10 different reasons why it is flashing. As has already been said the lack if power is limp mode, or get you home mode.

When it happened to me first time it was a faulty exhaust pressure sensor, a pretty easy fix.

Second time it happened it was a faulty throttle response valve. This was fixed with a new part and cost me £500.

The biggest problem is if your Engine light or CEL warning light is on. If this is the case you must get the car sorted as your DPF won't regenerate whilst this light is on. This could get expensive.

I agree that you should have the fault code found with your £36 job??

Good luck.

I have had something similar, may be the same thing but my locall dealer fixed it with a turbo repair kit and it cost about £ 250 so dont give up on it yet. The car has gone into limp mode thats the reason it feels down on power.

Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago.

Dealer repaired the turbo with a repair kit and car is perfect since,I think it was around €200