Octavia III Estate SE 2L DTI CR 4x4

Seems strange Skoda aren't fitting the 4x4 badge on the back of UK models.

I know you prefer the understated look but I'd have to let everyone know I wasn't driving the boring 2wd model :giggle:

skoda-octavia-4x4-4-badge.jpg

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 2

Looks fantastic!

I'd be interested to know how it performs mpg wise -  I was considering this exact spec myself, but have been rather put off by the official consumption figures (assuming the real world figures will be somewhat  lower).

Otherwise, the 4x4 seems a bargain - the latest Haldex and the superior rear suspension, for what seems to be a very reasonable additional cost.

Anyway - enjoy!

Well, my first proper fill to fill took 47.28L over a distance of 463 miles,mainly made up of motorway in the rain + long slow queues round the M42. This equates to an overall 44.6 mpg actual.  The computer's figure was 45.5 mpg, So that's only 2% error' which is not too bad. This was on sport mode.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well, my first proper fill to fill took 47.28L over a distance of 463 miles,mainly made up of motorway in the rain + long slow queues round the M42. This equates to an overall 44.6 mpg actual.  The computer's figure was 45.5 mpg, So that's only 2% error' which is not too bad. This was on sport mode.

My first tank to tank gave me a 46mpg figure (actual figures, not from trip computer).  A recent journey from Sheffield to Lincolnshire, via motorways, brought 57MPG average onto the display.

My first tank to tank gave me a 46mpg figure (actual figures, not from trip computer).  A recent journey from Sheffield to Lincolnshire, via motorways, brought 57MPG average onto the display.

That's pretty good! May I ask what speed you were doing on the motorway? I came up from Kent yesterday, mostly motorway travelling at 85 to 90, sometimes a bit more.  The computer showed about 48 mpg averaged for the trip.

By the way, the computer figures are pretty much spot on, the last few tanks all showed less than 1% error. (computer figures very slightly optimistic).

Thanks for posting photographs - looks good!

If you don't mind my asking, what were your reasons for buying the 4x4 version?  I look forward to reading a report (either from an owner or a professional comaparative road test) about how much better it is (if it is better!) than the 2-wheel-drive version on slippery surfaces such as ice, snow, muddy roads or wet grass.

Also interesting to read real-life fuel consumption figures.  The 'official' difference between the 4WD and the  two-wheel-drive is 10mpg (this is a lot - why?) but how great is the difference in real life?

Edited by Stuarted

Thanks for posting photographs - looks good!

If you don't mind my asking, what were your reasons for buying the 4x4 version?  I look forward to reading a report (either from an owner or a professional comaparative road test) about how much better it is (if it is better!) than the 2-wheel-drive version on slippery surfaces such as ice, snow, muddy roads or wet grass.

Also interesting to read real-life fuel consumption figures.  The 'official' difference between the 4WD and the  two-wheel-drive is 10mpg (this is a lot - why?) but how great is the difference in real life?

Currently running a Yeti 4x4 this being my fith car with all wheel drive and also considering switching to the Octy III 4x4. For me anyway I prefer the way the 4x4 drives over it's 2wd counterpart; feels more stable and 'planted' to the road no matter what the conditions. However a 4x4 in ice and snow is not much better than a 2wd if you don't have appropriate tyres fitted; either full winter or a quality 4 season tyre such as the Goodyear Vector 4Season.

TP

• Like 1

Good point about the tyres.  I agree, if you're buying a 4x4 because you want better traction, there doesn't  seem much sense in doing so unless you also fit appropriate tyres.

How well do good 4-season tyres compare with dedicated winter tyres?  And a separate question: what are the snags with running dedicated winter tyres in the summer?  Is it faster wear / higher fuel consumption / more road noise / poorer grip in hot weather or lower maximum speed rating?

(And if this is not really the right section for tyre discussion, which is, please?)

Good point about the tyres.  I agree, if you're buying a 4x4 because you want better traction, there doesn't  seem much sense in doing so unless you also fit appropriate tyres.

How well do good 4-season tyres compare with dedicated winter tyres?  And a separate question: what are the snags with running dedicated winter tyres in the summer?  Is it faster wear / higher fuel consumption / more road noise / poorer grip in hot weather or lower maximum speed rating?

(And if this is not really the right section for tyre discussion, which is, please?)

4 season tyres are not good summer or winter tyres, they are something between. in Norway its called useless tyres.. ;)

But remember this is under Norwegian conditions ;)

Winter tyres in the summer (+10 degrees Celsius)  is not a good idea, they become soft as butter, (the warmer the softer) wear out FAST and are useless on wet surfase/rain.. :)

Goodyear's 4Season tyre works well in the UK, have run them on a 2wd Fabia to good effect  in all conditions. They are also popular with some Yeti and Scout 4x4 owners who don't want the hassle of changing to winters and back twice a year. Wear is no more than you would expect from a mid range summer offering, maybe a little more noise but that's about it.

TP

• Like 2

That's pretty good! May I ask what speed you were doing on the motorway? I came up from Kent yesterday, mostly motorway travelling at 85 to 90, sometimes a bit more.  The computer showed about 48 mpg averaged for the trip.

By the way, the computer figures are pretty much spot on, the last few tanks all showed less than 1% error. (computer figures very slightly optimistic).

I was doing about 70mph, except through a short series of roadworks with average speed cameras in a 50mph zone.

Seems strange Skoda aren't fitting the 4x4 badge on the back of UK models.

I know you prefer the understated look but I'd have to let everyone know I wasn't driving the boring 2wd model :giggle:

skoda-octavia-4x4-4-badge.jpg

Well they've fitted one to my new car which I saw at the dealers today prior to it's registration/PDI etc. It's the same 4x4 logo as pictured above but without the TDI lettering.

For those interested in lead times I ordered it on Fri 26.7.13 from Skoda Business Finance, got a wk38 build & it was delivered to my nominated dealer on Fri 4.10.13 & I'll pick it up this Fri 11.10.13 = 11 weeks total versus the 12/13 weeks that I was quoted at the time of order.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have done 3000 miles now. There has been a few teething problems: some rattles from the dash, wiper hitting A pillar, off side window one touch function not working. Happy to say that my dealership had them all sorted without fuss. So everything is now working to spec. Grip level is absolutely excellent. Joy to drive. Only comment is that road noise is a bit high at speed when the road surface is not perfect, but not excessively so. Fuel consumption is improving. Can get 50mpg plus if driven carefully. Very happy :)

How's everyone else finding theirs? Hopefully enjoying the 4x4 as much as I am enjoying mine!

Have done 3000 miles now. There has been a few teething problems: some rattles from the dash, wiper hitting A pillar, off side window one touch function not working. Happy to say that my dealership had them all sorted without fuss. So everything is now working to spec. Grip level is absolutely excellent. Joy to drive. Only comment is that road noise is a bit high at speed when the road surface is not perfect, but not excessively so. Fuel consumption is improving. Can get 50mpg plus if driven carefully. Very happy :) How's everyone else finding theirs? Hopefully enjoying the 4x4 as much as I am enjoying mine!

No teething troubles with mine, which passed 1000 miles, yesterday, on the way back from Blackpool.  Mine is averaging 48mpg on the display (last fuel fill was 47.6mpg calculated from the real figures), and I achieved 53mpg on the way to Blackpool, yesterday.  I miss cruise and sat-nav (having bought from UK stock, they weren't options for me).  My only issue is my inability to get the radio logos to display - far from being a deal-breaker!

• Like 1