Tyre damage

After gratefully receiving a rather large screw in one of my tyres at the weekend I have just taken it for repair as they are new on in Feb and are 225/40/R18 92Y

But the 'nice' man at the garage said they couldn't repair it as it was a Y

Is this right ? As a new tyre will not be cheap

There will be a number of requirements which need to be met before a repair can be made:

• The puncture has occurred within the repairable zone - ie. the main face of the tyre and not a side wall
  • The puncture has a diameter or length of no more than 6mm
  • There is not more than one puncture within each quadrant of the tyre. (W, Z and Y speed rated tyres can be repaired to a maximum of three times)
  • The entry angle of the puncturing object does not allow for safe and proper seating of the stem and patch
  • The tyre is of a suitable condition and age with appropriate tread depth.

Whilst there is a comment regarding Y rated tyres I don't think this applies here - I think the tyre fitter has fobbed you off with a story to get you to buy a new tyre. I would ask and check where the damage is.

I have ask around here at work as I'm over in Germany at present and they confirmed that you can't repair a y rated tyre due to safety reasons. Maybe it's a German law thing

Must be - I've just had the same tyre (assuming it's the original Conti) repaired here in the UK after likewise receiving a screw.

The tyre fitters in Germany wouldn't repair one of my tyres that was Y rated

They probably patched it up later, and shipped it here to the Uk as "part worn" and let the Uk deal with the eventual waste! 

Al.