Any Fabia 1.9 tdi owners here?

Hi

I'm thinking of changing my Octavia for a Fabia 1.9. I have seen a 10 plate Fabia 3 1.9tdi with 38K and I'm quite intetested. I want a 1.9 again as it has the same engine as my Octy and its the last of the trusted 1.9,s but seem to be quite rare in a Fabia MK2.

Is everyone happy with theres?

Any faults worth looking for?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk.

i love mine, had a golf before with the same engine,,, in the skoda as with the golf ive had no problems,

the best bit for me is it seems to upset some people who dont realise its a 1.9  haha

I prefer the 1.9PD to the newer 1.6CR's.

Yes it's not as refined but has stronger bottom end torque and the 1.9 doesn't have the very tall gearing of the 1.6. So the 1.9 feels much stronger even though the figures are similar.

Then economy, the 1.6 has better figures but you have to drive really carefully to get anywhere near them. The 1.9 gives good economy without effort.

Cheers

Lee

• Like 1

Yes I agree. The 1.9 pd has that great punch to it whereas the 1.6 cr you have to really work it for results. I'm really pleased with the 1.9 fuel economy. My Octy is always 58plus mpg. I'm looking forward to driving the Fabia with this engine :)

Hi ... yes I have fabia 1.9 sport on 08, great car great economy, you wont regret buying one, have same engine in our family VW Touran  and can be easily tuned for even better economy and performance :sun:

I have a 1.9tdi - love the engine though I don't think the Fabia has the same build quality as Octavia's. I have had a few things replaced already - shock absorber, CV joint, wheel bearing etc. things that didn't go wrong on my last Octavia (02 reg 1.6 up to 87K). My current Fabia has done 77K.

A few interior rattles too - the interior has cheaper plastic than Octavias.

Performance wise it is excellent and leaves many people for dust which does make me smile. Economy wise generally high 40's and today had an economical run (stuck in loads of traffic and achieved over 60mpg over 45 miles).

• Like 1

1.9TDi PD on 118800 here, no issues whatsoever. Just regular servicing/ cam belt and the CORRECT oil. The PD lump is very fussy about its oil.

Which oil are you using? I have been taking it to a Skoda dealer for servicing so I would hope they know what they are doing.

Which oil are you using? I have been taking it to a Skoda dealer for servicing so I would hope they know what they are doing.

Quantum Platinum from TPS. VAG own brand oil. Cheaper than Castrol etc too ;)

Luckily the 1.9 in a MK 2 Fabia was never fitted with a dpf. The last engine in the series is the BXE which I have in my Octy so being in the Fabia would be great too. I've got to keep to the 1.9 as they are a great engine :)

Thanks for all your comments so far guys :)

• Like 2

Done 78k in my 1.9pd sport fabia my2008. Drives like a dream. No issues.

It has full service history and has had it can belt and water pump done.

The 1.9pd is a brilliant engine. It drives completely different to the 1.6cr. It has lots of pull.

I had a 1.9 in my Superb Greenline - never realy felt it was underpowered, despite only being 105bhp in that lump.

Switching from that to the Monte, with the 1.6 CR was a good move - I was looking for a Mk1 VRS SE, then a 1.9 TDI, but couldn't find any I wanted used and was offered the Monte as a customer cancellation.

The 1.6 CR is different, more like a petrol engine, but still with diesel torque.  The 1.9 is a more traditional diesel, low down torque, a bit of power in the middle and then all done by about 4000rpm.

As with anything involving a change of car, I have adapted driving style slightly, the same as driving the Monte is different to driving my wife's Golf with the same 1.6 CR. 

Maybe if you can't find a Sport or 3 1.9TDI that you want, looking at the 1.6 CR would be the next best thing (accepting it won't be to everyone's taste, DPF may not suit driving style/journeys etc).

I have a 1.9tdi - love the engine though I don't think the Fabia has the same build quality as Octavia's. I have had a few things replaced already - shock absorber, CV joint, wheel bearing etc. things that didn't go wrong on my last Octavia (02 reg 1.6 up to 87K). My current Fabia has done 77K.

A few interior rattles too - the interior has cheaper plastic than Octavias.

Performance wise it is excellent and leaves many people for dust which does make me smile. Economy wise generally high 40's and today had an economical run (stuck in loads of traffic and achieved over 60mpg over 45 miles).

I'd agree with the above......going from a 1.9tdi Octavia to a 1.9tdi Fabia, you might be surprised by the difference. Poorer refinement and the lower build quality is quite noticeable in Fabia.......after all it is considerably cheaper to buy new compared to the Octavia.....savings have to be made somewhere.

I like my Fabia, but compared to my Octavia it is a bit like getting into a tractor........something to be aware of if you are thinking of changing.     

• Like 1

I've had my 1.9 TDi estate since 2009 and love it - I've no intention of replacing it with a more modern diesel car. It pulls superbly, returns 50-60 mpg no matter how much you thrash it and is supremely reliable. I have had not a single problem with the car, nothing whatsoever. Make sure the oil is changed every 8-10 k, replace the cam belt every 50 k miles, and enjoy the torque, economy for years. No dpf issues either - none of the 1.9 PD fabias have them. These engines can do starship mileages if you stick to proper servicing schedules - I bet there are thousands of 1.9 PDs out there that have exceeded 250,000 miles. One of the best engines VW ever made, IMO.

• Like 2

Hi...

I own 2008 Fabia MK2 Sport with 1.9 PD TDi and absulutely love it...I had a remap done on the car 5 months after I bought it. It produces around 140BHP now, it's very fast, pulls really well from the low revs and fuel economy it's much better, easily over 55mpg.

I have 93,000 miles on the clock and to be honest I have no intention of selling it at all. Will probably give the car to my wife as I'm planning to upgrade next year and buy a Yeti or New Octavia VRS - Family Reasons...:)

This is the best car I have ever owned and really happy with it. Looks really good, it's fast and if you find a Sport version with 1.9 go for it...!!!!

Matty

• Like 1