Fabia II & Columbus / RNS510

Willum

As some of you may recall, I have been the proud owner of a 57-reg Fabia since Nov / Dec 2009.

About 6 months after that, I acquired an RNS510 from eBay, and fitted that myself.

My car is a level 3 spec model, so has MaxiDOT rather than the standard LCD in the dash. The factory-fitted Dance head-unit repeated some info onto the MaxiDOT, and I'd like to reinstate this plus the navigation features onto the display too.

I have heard conflicting accounts as to whether this can be done, whether the pre-FL Fabia has a suitable CAN-bus (?) and how much adjustment is necessary, whether adapters are required, etc.

This video appears to demonstrate that what I want to do can be done:

The car, although a continental left-hand drive version, appears otherwise identical in specification to mine, with the MaxiDOT display and the climatronic stuff. It's only about 6-12 months newer than mine, so still very much a pre-FL example.

I don't get anything on the MaxiDOT at all at the moment.

The other problem is that the Columbus unit turns itself off after about 30-40 minutes' use; presumably this is because it things the ignition is off and it's trying to save the battery?

I would very much appreciate any pointers as to where I should go from here. :happy:

Pre-FL Fabia has CAN 1.6 bus while RNS510 supports only CAN 2.0 bus, so the corresponding adapter is required for correct operation.

IMHO currently Canshack offers the most functional adapter here: http://www.canshack.de/skoda/fabia/can-adapter-rns-510-t5-touareg-polo-9n3-golf-4-bora.html, but there are cheaper alternatives available too.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestion.

I've bought one of those adapters, and now fitted it.

The Columbus now shuts off when I turn of the ignition, and I've seen a bit of change in behaviour in the MaxiDOT, but I'm still not getting the info reapeat (navigation, Radio station name, etc.) in the display.

I'll try to post pictures later, but does this mean I need to do some coding / tweaking somewhere?

OK, here are some photos I took of the display situation, both before and after fitting.

Before:

IMG_20130924_180101.jpg

After:

IMG_20130924_175301.jpg

What you see in the upper section of the cluster only appears when the Columbus is switched off. The voltage reading jumps to 14v when the engine's running. But with the Columbus switched on, all that remains is the upper white line. So that suggests to me that SOMETHING is getting through.

I seem to recall that the Dance head unit had a parking sensor display on it, and that the Columbus as this capability as well; just a graphic, not a rear-view camera or anything fancy like that. I don't know whether that could be reinstated?

Now, in reference to this coding that you mention. How do I go about doing this, and what do I need (tools, equipment, software, etc.) to do it?

Edited by Willum

A 57 reg Fabia was never designed to run a Columbus, I don't think the maxidot is ever going to work. The canbus converter is what is controlling the data sent to the cluster, and not the cluster coding. What is being sent is data that you would not normally see. The fact something is displaying suggests the coding is already correct, its just the wrong data. To get it working, you may need to buy the exact same canbus converter used in the video clip.

Also dont forget there are 2 different versions of the columbus that will fit the Fabia, the earlier 1Z0 unit, and the latter 3T0 unit. You may need the earlier 1Z0 unit to work in your car since it uses a different protocol.

I think this is why he linked this youtube video, as this is what it shows; a pre-fl fabia with maxi dot and columbus working without any problem and he assumes it can also be done whith his car.

Edited by nb2121

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to take up the suggestions that I try doing some coding in VCDS, so I plan to start looking for VCDS owners local to me shortly.

However, before I do that, I want to get the firmware upgraded on my Columbus as that's now relatively old.

It's a revision C unit, but I have never had the battery drain issue which others have reported.

What I have noticed already with the new CAN adapter I've fitted is that the navigation seems to work better.

Edited by Willum

You will not be able to code your navigation directly with VCDS because of the old CAN 1.6 bus used. Instead you will have to put this navigation in some car with native CAN 2.0 bus and do the required coding there.

But try to upgrade firmware first, I recommend the firmware version 4120 because it may solve your problem with the current coding too.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I forgot to mention that when scrolling through the MaxiDOT menu, and select 'Navigation', with this adapter installed it now shows the GPS coordinates. And initially after installing the adapter, the top section of the MaxiDOT showed 'Volkswagen Navigation' for a while.

I'm now running firmware version 4120.

You will not be able to code your navigation directly with VCDS because of the old CAN 1.6 bus used. Instead you will have to put this navigation in some car with native CAN 2.0 bus and do the required coding there.

But try to upgrade firmware first, I recommend the firmware version 4120 because it may solve your problem with the current coding too.

I have been in touch with Canshack to clarify things regarding the CANbus 1.6-2.0 adapter.

This was their response:

Yes... You are right.

You will have to code the RNS 510 / Columbus.

The solution for you Problem is in Bit 7 of Byte 07. (Communication to cluster in BAP Mode)

You will have to disable this Bit.

Attention!

You can not code your Columbus inside your car.

You will have to connect it to a newer Skoda or VW (Like Golf 5 or 6, Passat and so on) because the diagnostic protocol of your car is incompatible to your Columbus.

Here is a full overview of the coding list (German language, but i think you will understand it)

https://canshackgmbh.zendesk.com/entries/24066127-Codierungen-des-RNS-510-Ab-Firmware-3800-

And so, for the sake of thoroughness, here's a translation of said coding list:

Hello.

Here is a brief summary of all parameters to be encoded for the RNS 510 firmware 3800th

Adrese 37 Navigation

byte 00

Bit 01 - Diagnostic Monitoring CD-Wechsler/iPod/USB Anschluus active

Bit 02 - Diagnostic monitoring AUX -IN connection active

Bit 03 - Monitoring Parking sensors / park assist inactive

Bit 04-07 Sirius region code (NAR )

Bit 00h - U.S. Full Line Up

Bit 04h - U.S. Family Line Up

Bit 08h - Canada Full Line Up

Bit 0Ch - Canada Family Line Up

byte 01

Not installed sound system - 00 bit

Bit 01 - Volkswagen sound system

Bit 02 - Skoda Sound System ( CAN DSP)

Bit 05 - Dynaudio Sound System

Bit 06 - Volkswagen Sound System ( BAP DSP)

Bit 07 - Dynaudio Sound System ( BAP DSP)

byte 02

Bit 00 - sound system (speakers )

Bit 02-02 loudspeaker channels ( 2 passive Laitsprecher front)

Bit 04-04 loudspeaker channels ( 2 passive Laitsprecher each front and rear)

byte 03

Bit 01 - Microphone Diagnostics active

Bit 06 - Rear view camera low (without control unit installed )

byte 04

Bit 00 - Not coded

Bit 01 - off monitoring ( sound system )

Bit 02 - Monitoring forward

Bit 03 - Monitoring back

Bit 04 - Monitoring , front and rear

byte 05

Bit 00 - Frequency response : linear

Bit 01 - Frequency response : Seat Altea ( 5P) / Skoda Octavia ( 1Z )

Bit 02 - Frequency response : Seat Leon ( 1P)

Bit 03 - Frequency response : Seat Toledo ( 5P)

Bit 04 - Frequency response: Seat Altea XL / Freetrack (5P ) / Skoda Superb ( 3T)

byte 06

Bit 00 - GALA function in amplifier operation

Bit 01 - DAB locale -> 0 - Europe, 1 - Canada ( Also works for the Siemes very old devices with DAB connection)

byte 07

Bit 00 - Short press support MFL -> 0 = A 1 = Off

Bit 01 - voice control -> 0 = A 1 = Off

Bit 02 - speed threshold for destination input active

Bit 03 - speed threshold for speech input active

Bit 04-05 : 00 - Highline , 10 - Sportline , 20 - Premium

Bit 06 - Compass display in MFA -> 0 = A 1 = Off ( This bit set to "1" to the Skoda CAN adapter to use in TP 1.6 vehicles !)

Bit 07 - Change of DDP on BAP (0 = DDP / 1 = BAP) red display : DDP / white display : BAP)

byte 08

Bit 00 - Volume ( Phone) -> 1 - Variable level , 0 - Firm level

Bit 01 - Audi UHV High -> 1 - blocked, 0 - not installed

Bit 02 - UHV - type -> 1 - NAR variant 0 - EU version

Bit 03 - Diagnostic Monitoring DigitalVideoOut -> 0 - Off , 1 - On

byte 09

00 : via CAN gateway (default ) ---> enough in most cases. When , for example, T5.1 must refer to these bytes are " 14" coded.

01: Polo

02: New Beetle

03: New Beetle Convertible

04: Scirocco

05: Golf 6

06 Jetta

07: Golf 6 Variant

08 : Golf Cabrio

09: Touran

0A : Golf Plus

0B : Passat United States (NMS )

0C: Tiguan

0D : Sharan

0E : EOS

0F : Passat CC

10: Passat Limo

11: Passat Variant

12: Touareg

13: Caddy

14: Bus T5

15: AMAROK

16: FZG four-door

17: Polo Saloon

20: Seat Leon

21: Seat Altea

22: Seat Altea XL

23: Seat Toledo

24: Seat Alhambra

25: Seat Ibiza

26: Seat Ibiza

27: Seat Ibiza Sportback

2A: Skoda Octavia

2B : Skoda Octavia Combi

2C : Skoda ?

2D: Skoda Superb

2E : Skoda Superb Combi

2F : Skoda Fabia

30: Skoda Fabia Combi

31: Skoda Roomster

35 : Short tail generically

36: Saloon generic

37: Combined generic

38: Van generic

39 : Bus generically

3A: Roadster generic

However, there is an interesting point raised by the poster of the video in my original post:

No, no it is necessary to code it nothing.It was necessary to compare it the Fabia2 and it Octavia2 the communication of can.It was necessary to find them the can titles what are missing from Fabia but they are needed for Columbus function inevitably. It was necessary to prepare a module what Fabia canbus puts these absent titles up,plus lets in the communication of the car.Excuse me my english...

So, on the strength of this, is it still going to be necessary to code my Columbus in somebody else's Octavia?

I'd be keen to avoid that for obvious reasons, not least because it looks like much more of a job to get the stereo out of its bay in an Octy!

Yes I believe so, disabling the BAP protocol on the newer Columbus's is required on the pre facelift Octavia 2 in order to get maxidot working properly.

If you try and code it in your car, I very much doubt that VCDS will even see the headunit.