Swirl marks on shiny black plastic.

servicepoint

Also 3M blue masking tape is always good to have around. Car polish and rubber and plastic trims are not good friends. Like the picture, tape off the rubber and unpainted bare plastics so the polish doesn't mark or stain them. If some does get on, as with any polish, a general purpose cleaner, panel wipe or similar will remove it.

I have often wondered about these commonly seen black plastic/metal trims you usually get on the B pillars covering the edges of the doors.  They're often the most swirly parts of a car and I wonder if its down to where they're stuck on, or how they are made up chemically/manufactured.

I would also recommend applying G-Techniq C1 after polishing as this will go some way towards protecting the surface from future defects.

The coating on the plastic is so incredibly soft, it's almost like you mark it just by breathing on it. Still it could be worse - the whole car could be covered in it!

The OH's Mini Clubman suffers terribly from this - it has painted black trim up the windscreen sides and also the rear 3/4 panels, they are all swirly.

I've tried AG SRP but also have some GTechniq P1 to try on it, so far the SRP hasn't improved.

Once swirls are removed it's best to protect with a ceramishield or Gtechniq C1/4/5 product to add a little scratch resistance. They are so easy to marr it's beyond annoying.