Fabia 2 .... Not good!

nigech

Hi,  I've got a lovely Fabia 2 1.6 tdi se  (2010) that's had to have new front discs (within guarantee); had to have the aircon re-gassed 2 days out of warranty; Been told at its 1st MOT that both the front and rear wheel tracking is way out and will cost £90 +VAT to retrack; The heater resistor pack failed this July (2013) when the temperature went upto 34C (UK) and have been told by the Reading Skoda dealer that it will cost £600 to £700 approx + VAT to remove the dashboard complete to get behind the moulded in glovebox to replace the fan resistor pack (£48 + VAT) ........  My previous car was a Ford Mondeo hatch 1800 petrol .... It cost peanuts to service and over 16 years the only things that needed replacing were windscreen wipers and tyres!

So I'm going to take a saw blade and saw out the glovebox and replace the resistor pack with a £3 pwm (pwm = pulse width modulation) circuit board.  The circuit is is simple; there is a small heatsink on the switching transistor (MOSFET) and it will plug into the resistor pack plug in the airduct behind the glovebox.  It won't fail because it doesn't get warm.  .... Don't know yet how I'm going to remount the glovebox .....    

Sorry about this post .... I'm going to repost it in the Fabia forum  .... So please don't respond here ....

Cheers,

Nige

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your support.  When I moaned to the Reading Skoda dealer he asked if I had to buy a reliable car what would I buy ......

My reply ..... after a bit of thought ..... "Another Skoda. Most probably an Octavia Estate"

:) :) :)

Cheers,

Nige