longer 4x4 ratios in 02m

so got a TT 02m petrol 6 speed gearbox bolted up and fitted i know its going to work and all that jazz, after a chat with snowmuncher and cntuning looks like i will be getting some peloquin diffs pending a phone call

so the thought was that while the box was getting them fitted why not get the diesel FD too

the question is where are people getting the diesel 6th gear from to make a longer FD and of course a better cruiser for economy on the motorways etc

i have had a look about and cant find much on it any help pointers will be very helpful

cheers

Edited by boomsly

VW Vortex was the source of most of the info I found out, which isn't a great deal tbh

I know my box is an 02M DXW from an Audi TT Roadster (6th is blanked from factory)

Ratio setup:

1st 42:11 = 3.818

2nd 40:19 = 2.105

3rd 39:29 = 1.345

4th 35:36 = 0.972

5th 32:33 = 0.970

These ratio's are the same as found in some diesel 02M boxes (1.9-ltr. 85kW TD - Page 5 VW self study programme)

My final drive was retrofitted afterwards, and I understand is :

6th 29:26 = 0.806

You're best bet for specifics of what gears can be mixed together and how would be over on vw vortex

Few threads there listing out the specific ratio's of different box codes

i think i have it a little more sussed now, i need an 02m drw or erf for the final drive of 29:36 like yours is

according to vortex at 7000 rpm that s 199 mph ? thats pretty long lol

found a cheap drw diesel gearbox on ebay with postage too, but not 100% its what it says it is as i have no way to tell

That DRW has a very tall 5th gear too

They are designed with 2 final drives. Gears 1-4 use the first, and gears 5-6 use the second. Here are the ratios for the new tranny

1st - 3.818

2nd - 2.105

3rd - 1.344

4th - 0.972

5th - 0.910

6th - 0.805

Final Drive for gears 1-4 - 3.238

Final Drive for gear 5 & 6 - 2.610

Think taking the whole gear train from the DRW makes sense, makes life simpler

if taking the whole gearset from a drw would the r32 front peloquin diff still go into the box though? not a clue where it really goes or how that affects it?

Simple anwser is no

There a big drive gear that fits round the diff that meets up with whatever the gearbox is upto

The ratios should work with that tfsi turbo power bands well

not jealous.  No not I..

not much anyway!!!   :D

You just need to think of the diffs as a fuel saving devices - allow you to cruise round corners in hi gears without wasting fuel slowing down/speeding up

think of how much money you could save in brake pads

• Like 1

Simple anwser is no

There a big drive gear that fits round the diff that meets up with whatever the gearbox is upto

The ratios should work with that tfsi turbo power bands well

using diesel gears in the o2m box and the big gear from an o2m and an r32 diff that should work

seen that thread yesterday while searching about, the wife wrote the above post for me while reading it out to me at work and trying to write what i was saying   :rofl:

think the jist of it was right if i have a quick look inside gearbox when it arrives   :wonder:

im thinking the 1-6 diesel gears can be swapped with the petrol ones keep the petrol o2m ring gear and put the r32 peloquin diff inside that ring gear