Samsung galaxy S4 internet connection?

MLJ

I have the Galaxy S4 in my 2013 twindoor 170ps 4x4 phone works great with skoda rsap system, bur when connected there is no data connection. Have just read the manual under data,and extras, and now even more confused, anyone found how this works? In previous cars without rsap, the passenger has been able to use phone connection as internet access point

Any help would be much appreciated

Guest ProfesorDeBuceo

I don't know the technicalities of it (Eddie-NL probably does) but I found the same with my S3. Once connected to the OEM kit, none of the usual data services are available, even though the phone does all the normal phone things.

Seems that's the way it works... or doesn't as the case may be :think: 

The Skoda Premium car kit supports the Bluetooth DUN (Dial-Up Networking) Profile.  While most Windows laptops support this profile out-of-the-box, Android phones, including the S4 don't seem to, using the PAN (Personal Area Networking) Profile instead for this purpose.

I've got this working in my Superb with various Samsung devices (S3, S4, Note 8.0, Tab 3) by using the BlueVPN

app (free) from the Play Store.  This implements a DUN client on the phone which can then connect to the Superb and use the data connection (once it's correctly configured under "Extras" in the Maxidot menu).

The implementation is less than perfect: various applications complain that no network connectivity is available and then proceed to work normally regardless.  However, some just will not recognize this sort of connection - including Samsung's email application when using an Exchange Server.

Hope this helps...

m.

Edited to add:  All of the above only applies when using rSAP - when using HFP (i.e. the non-premium option) the phone will retain its data connection as normal, anyway.

Edited by Mark S Morley

Simply connect via the standard protocol rather than the RDAP.  I can't remember exactly where in MaxiDot it is (something like Phone > Settings) and from memory you are offered the choice of connecting over 'Premium' or 'Handsfree'.  Premium uses the car as the telephone and effectively disables the phone's radio, purely using bluetooth to access the SIM and phone data.  Change it to 'Handsfree' (I think it's that - am away from the car at the mo) and it will revert to using the phone radio systems.  This will give you data access on your phone; however reception isn't quite as good (you're not using the aerial on top of the car) and battery usage is higher as the phone is using its own radio.

Pretty easy to change from one to the other.  Did it myself again last Friday to try out speech recognition apps on my Galaxy S2 which required data.

Michael

Pretty easy to change from one to the other.  Did it myself again last Friday to try out speech recognition apps on my Galaxy S2 which required data.Michael

Can you let me know how you did it. I like to use Tunein radio app but while I'm connected via RSAP I have no data connection. BlueDUN doesn't work in this case for me.

The only option I can find in the maxi dot settings is something like "change sim mode" but all this does is for me is disconnect and then reconnect in RSAP mode, I can't get it to connect in handsfree mode. Unless, that is I choose it in the initial setup but then I can't have RSAP which I mostly prefer.

Can you let me know how you did it. I like to use Tunein radio app but while I'm connected via RSAP I have no data connection. BlueDUN doesn't work in this case for me.

The only option I can find in the maxi dot settings is something like "change sim mode" but all this does is for me is disconnect and then reconnect in RSAP mode, I can't get it to connect in handsfree mode. Unless, that is I choose it in the initial setup but then I can't have RSAP which I mostly prefer.

ashfan, I'll let you know over the weekend when I get back to my car (I'm away on business at the moment).  It's not the "change sim mode" option and in fact is in a different menu. Wherever it is it gives a toggle reading something like "Premium" or "Handsfree".

Michael

Excellent thanks Michael. I`ll have another look in the meantime to see if I can find it.

Had a look Michael and can`t find anything which easily switches to "Handsfree". Maybe its an option which is dependant on the bluetooth module thats fitted.

Right - on mine it's Phone menu - Settings - Phone Settings - Phone Mode. In there you have the option of either Premium or Handsfree. As mentioned before, Premium is RDAP and you can't use data, Handsfree is the usual bluetooth method and you do have data.

It does depend on your bluetooth module but I believe all recent ones have the ability to use both. Mine's from March this year.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Michael It would seem its down to my Bluetooth module. I can choose Handsfree on initial setup if I refuse access to the SIM card but I don't seem to be able to switch between the two after initial installation.

Could you possibly let me know which module you have

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ProfesorDeBuceo

Once connected to the OEM kit, none of the usual data services are available, even though the phone does all the normal phone things. 

Having done a factory reset of my phone (nothing to do with the car) I now find on repairing with the Skoda BT that I do have full data / internet use while connected. Great!

Can't explain it, I did nothing differently to initial installation, but just thought I'd share it as it proves it can work. :thumbup:

Thanks Michael It would seem its down to my Bluetooth module. I can choose Handsfree on initial setup if I refuse access to the SIM card but I don't seem to be able to switch between the two after initial installation.

Could you possibly let me know which module you have

Michael, sorry to be a pain but would you be able to check your BT module and let me know which one you have. Not being able to access the internet is becoming a real pain and switching to handsfree from the Maxidot would be very helpful.

I even asked at my local Skoda dealer recently and all I got was blank looks when I asked them to clarify what it says in the manual about connecting to the internet in rSAP mode

Ashfan, my apologies for the delay.  I've just been and looked and my bluetooth module is the 3C8 035 730C.  So on Maxidot when you go Phone menu > Settings > Phone Settings do you not have a menu item called Phone Mode?  What options do you have?

I think if I were you, didn't have the option to change on the fly and needed data on the 'phone I'd just pair up in Handsfree mode at the initial pairing and leave it at that.  In fact if I were regularly using data on mine I'd be tempted to leave it connecting in Handsfree and not use Premium at all, even though I can change on the fly (it's still a bit of a hassle).

Michael

I do not have the phone setting in the menu.

Managed to have Internet connection on my s4 by using bluevpn.

This way I have all the advanced facilities of the car using sim mode and, at the same time, I have Internet access on my phone using the sharkfin antenna which gives me much better reception. A win win solution.

Thanks Michael, much appreciated. I have tried deleting the RSAP connection and reconnecting with handsfree but unfortunately the next time I go to the car it automatically reconnects with RSAP again

I don't have the menu option that you have but I do have an option called Change Sim Mode but this doesn't help it just keeps reconnecting to Premium mode

Thanks micloi. I do use BlueVPN but for me this only allows me to browse the internet which is not really what I want it for. I want to use a data connection to listen to my Tunein radio app but for some reason the app is saying there is no connection despite being able to browse. And, not that I need it either, I can't get emails.

Very strange. My emails work ok with bluevpn. Will try tunein radio and let you know.

Many thanks. Maybe it's something to do with my BlueVPN settings. I've just left everything on default as I don't have any idea what they all mean

Thanks Michael, much appreciated. I have tried deleting the RSAP connection and reconnecting with handsfree but unfortunately the next time I go to the car it automatically reconnects with RSAP again

I don't have the menu option that you have but I do have an option called Change Sim Mode but this doesn't help it just keeps reconnecting to Premium mode

Thanks micloi. I do use BlueVPN but for me this only allows me to browse the internet which is not really what I want it for. I want to use a data connection to listen to my Tunein radio app but for some reason the app is saying there is no connection despite being able to browse. And, not that I need it either, I can't get emails.

Yes, I tried the Change Sim Mode once and found it did nothing noticeable!  The Phone Mode menu item is right next to the Change Sim Mode menu item on mine.

When I was starting off with the car I did get it to connect via the Handsfree protocol (not Premium) and stay that way, even when reconnecting.  I unpaired the phones and got the car to forget anything about my phone.  Then when I repaired the phones from fresh the phone asked me if I wanted to allow access to the SIM card.  I simply said NO (and checked the box "do not ask me again") and from then on it only connected via Handsfree.

Michael

p.s. Just had a look at BlueVPN and it specifically says it doesn't work with TuneIn.

Edited by mfj197

Thanks again Michael I'll try setting it up again in handsfree mode and see how it goes. I might be wrong here but when I did it the last time I'm sure voice dialling didn't work but like I say I could be wrong or I hadn't set up the system correctly.

I didn't spot that about BlueVPN and Tunein, that's a shame but thanks for letting me know