Some advise on a vRS

I'm after a new car and been looking at a Octavia vRS 59+plate hatchback in petrol.

I'll be buying from a Skoda dealer. What service plans do they have or is it best to just pay the service when it's due?

Is there anything i should look out for when buying these and what are they like for servicing prices?

Is there anything that needs done to them early compared to other cars? I noticed on the forum that some cars need have the cambelt and water pump replaced every 4 years? That surley can't be correct as my current car is every 100k or 10 years!

Do they all come with electric windows as the back or were they optional extras as windy windows will be a no go?

Thanks.

Skoda operate a national pricing policy for servicing-the deails are on Skoda uk's website. If your getting a petrol it'll most likely be a tsi which has a camchain, not a belt. The earlier tfsi engines had belts though. Saw toothing of the rear tyres is something to look out for. No doubt others will add to this for you.

Rear electric windows are standard on vrs of that age. With regards to servicing it depends on whether it is on fixed (every 10k miles) or variable which can go upto 20k miles. Early facelift models eg 59plate are more at risk of the timing chain tensioner failure - do a search to read more about it. I've got a late 2010 petrol vrs and have done 50k miles without any major issues. Had the sawtoothing which wore out the rear tyres but since I had the alignment done on it it's been fine. Get one with as many extras as you can. Would recommend maxidot and the acoustic reverse park sensors. Mine also has xenon headlights which gives you auto wipers/headlights as well as headlamp washers. I've also fitted the factory bluetooth kit which is an easy addition to do.

Is it true that the cambelt needs replaced every 4 years? I thought it was a chain and done the life of that car?

If it does then will it have a new tensioner (which is causing the engine failures) and it doesn't matter what age of car i would go for? The reason i ask this is because i've seen a 59 plate but people say they updated something on cars made afte May 2010?

Also is the Maxidot thing a must or is a just a gadget to play with and doesn't really make much difference?

Yep all 2.0 TSi's are chain driven. Some have insisted on having the latest revision camchain tensioner fitted under warranty though I do not believe the problem has been warranted serious enough (its serious alright but not too many cases) for VAG to issue a recall.

Maxidot is nice, gives you a high res display that will show check control info as well as trip computer, audio, phone and nav information where fitted. Manual cars did not come with this so alot of them dont have it. Can do a cluster swap but it'll cost you.

For info DSG equipped cars come with Maxidot and a multi-function steering wheel that was not even an option on manual UK cars. Also has paddleshifts.

Agree with everything on this thread, SWMBO's vRS is 2011 with app 32k miles & has most of the good toys fitted, including front curain airbags.

All it lacks is a built-in sat-nav. 

It's a much quieter & more civilised car than my old '07 manual TFSi, but did require a full wheel alignment & a new set of tyres, but then we didn't pay too much for it!

As for the comments re DSG equipped cars. you do indeed get maxidot, & an MF steering wheel, plus a lot more fun.

Some might think that a sporting notch-back should have a manual box, but we would not agree. The TSi lump has both a decent power output plus much torque, delivered over a wide RPM range, meaning that it's a very good match for the DSG, allowing "sporting" driving in manual mode using the stick & or the paddles.

If you are content, (or constrained by traffic) to trundle around, then just leave it in "D" & you'll find it to be a quiet & relaxed car, that has no turbo lag & will provide a surprising amount of urgency at low engine speeds.

Then, if the dreaded "red mist" moment arrives, just drop the stick into "S" mode, you will be rewarded with much noise, good acceleration & surprised looks from other drivers!

I'd agree that we are both DSG converts, & if we ever replace my trusty old Mondeo wagon, it won't be another manual car.

We both like having all the good stuff from a GTi Golf, at a better price, lower insurance costs & a useful boot.

As for reliability, get the best warranty that you can afford from the Skoda Dealer & make sure that you understand the just what it covers.

I hope that you can find a decent & well equipped car within your budget, if you do I think you'll find an Octy vRS to be a very versatile car with a few performance surprises.

DC

`Very good car. I don't have the DSG box nor the maxidot but will say I am impressed with what I have. Its a 2010 estate but with a 2012 engine in it, likely revised cam chain tensioner, so previous owner was victim to engine destruction. Likely with a 2009 model you may end up with a TSI not TFSI, but the  i am only assuming this....

Either way this car and model is really good. I am a petrol head and will not go back to a diesel for a while....

I don't fancy the DSG as i love changing gears and my left leg would feel lost not pressing the clutch all the time ha!

So do you all think it's best to go for a car made after May 2010 to reduce the chance of engine failure?

Are there an optional extras that are a must to go for? The likes of parking sensors i'm not fussed about. How do i know if it has Maxidot?

I don't fancy the DSG as i love changing gears and my left leg would feel lost not pressing the clutch all the time ha!

So do you all think it's best to go for a car made after May 2010 to reduce the chance of engine failure?

Are there an optional extras that are a must to go for? The likes of parking sensors i'm not fussed about. How do i know if it has Maxidot?

Same as on that one. I have never been a fan of anything automatic..... 

I wouldn't be able to say if I am honest. Like i said mine is a 2010 model and had an engine change with a newer 2012 model.... The car itself is a good piece of kit but sadly was one of the few, and i mean a few, that had the duff cam chain tensioner.. Now there is a thread which details alot about engine failures on those particular model of engine... http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/266114-octavia-ii-tsi-engine-failures/

At the end of the day you run the risk of belt / tensioner failing on any vehicle no matter who makes them and optional extra i would go for is parking sensors, heated seats and many more....

Mate, had my 2.0TSI 3 weeks and bang tensioner went, one previous owner with history and only 38k on the clock...got it cheaper than dealer prices but wondering now if I had bought from a dealer the warranty wouldn't be in question. Just get one with warranty if you can

I'm a Toyota Techie and beginning to wonder why I didn't just get a Tfsi as I could change the belt when I wanted :wall:

Phil

I have owned mine now for just over 4 years from new, its done only 35k. TBH... it's been very reliable, no sawtoothing of tyres or chain failure that some have suffered. It had its 4 yr service recently by an independent, price difference was probably not that much different to Skoda's but I included the changing of the plugs? I did have a gearbox oil seal changed (only thing I have needed and paid for out of warranty).  

The options I have are leather seats, reversing sensors, auto lights and dimming mirror and the spare wheel. What I should of added was heated seats and maxidot...? 

I have had a few mods done, mainly the remap that improved the performance, I wish I had the suspension mods done a bit earlier as the handling has improved (significantly I think) if you were thinking of getting anything done :happy: ! 

The timing chain issues is always there as a big concern given the cost of repair and in my case the probability of having to stump up all costs! But I still intend to keep for another year at least... I see no reason to change at the moment as I am very happy with the car.