Does this look like a possible write-off?

Good job I was sitting down when I read it..

They are now considering a quote to repatriate the car for repair in the UK...although apparently the Insurance company weren't aware that there would be suspension damage  :bandit:

Edited by philhoward

worrying thing is probably be CAT D'ed rebuilt for less than half the cost and back on the road

my roomster was cat d'ed I got just under 3500 and could have bought it back for £900, calculated just over £700 for parts excl paint but needed a car reasonable quickly so did not have option due to time it would take me to rebuilt front end, damage looks not to different but excluded suspension damage

time for you to start getting evidence of what car is worth to start haggling over payout

That's not my decision regarding payout as it's a company car, bluecar1.   Value is guesstimated around 9.5-10k or thereabouts.

Did your crunch also wipe out the PAS pump?  Don't know if there's a sub-loom that feeds the pump or its the whole engine bay loom as wires were ripped out when the pump got hit.  If it's the main loom, then it would need a new loom?

no, bumper, slam panel, radiator, bonnet, lights, nsf wing, no damage to inner wings

but all that from using a Renault to stop from <10mph, they still estimated damage as >£3500

Ah - was going a bit quicker than that (near 60mph) although a Boar is a little softer than a Renault.

On the flip side, my bonnet appears untouched (and it still opened and closed fine).  Small consolation though!

I'd be very surprised if they repatriate and repair it.

I think you'll be heading home without it.

Being transported this week to the nominated Accident repairers back in the UK.  Anyone had any experience of Howard Basford (Crewe)?

I think it was inevitable it would be repatriated as from the photos, its obvious that either the car could be repaired or sold (by auction) to recoup a significant proportion of the claim. Being a RHD car, the best price obtainable by far would be in the UK.

Difficult situation for yourself with the vRS being stuck on the continent but a few years back a Scooby hit our Fabia of the time, Insurer wanted to send it to their repairer but we dug our heels in and told them no. Got it taken to the approved Skoda shop recommend by the dealer in the end, who did a good job.

TP

Added complication is that it's a company car so I have no real say.  In all fairness, my contact from the Accident Management company has been great in keeping me informed as and when there is any information and has been chasing the insurers to keep things moving.

Insurers originally wanted to send it to a place in Macclesfield (not exactly convenient from Stoke); at least Crewe is 30 mins closer for me.

Did a bit of googling and it seems that Howard Basford didn't have a very good rep although seem to have improved over the last few years or so.  We will see what happens..

Added complication is that it's a company car so I have no real say.  In all fairness, my contact from the Accident Management company has been great in keeping me informed as and when there is any information and has been chasing the insurers to keep things moving.

Insurers originally wanted to send it to a place in Macclesfield (not exactly convenient from Stoke); at least Crewe is 30 mins closer for me.

Did a bit of googling and it seems that Howard Basford didn't have a very good rep although seem to have improved over the last few years or so.  We will see what happens..

Might as well take it to Shorade if you are in Stoke if they are thinking of sending it to Crewe.  They are Skoda approved and spot on as they are McLaren, Merc, Porsche and Lambo approved too ;)

It'll be expensive.

I've just had my insurance approve this repair on my rear door for £1,300.

They don't mess about with filler or replacing skins anymore, just swap out the whole door and blend.

I'd guess your repair to be well over £5K...

IMG-20130926-00420_zpsdbef6113.jpg

IMG-20130926-00421_zps40fc2bf3.jpg

Picture2_zps1db38e10.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well - finally got the car back on Thursday.  Had a horrendous pull to the left when I took it out and the gearbox didn't feel right.

Gearbox - I put it down to the battery being disconnected (and several errors being reset for the repairs) causing the DSG to lose its marbles as after 15-20 miles of mixed driving it changes smoothly again and doesn't creep excessively.

Pulling to the left - as part of the repairs, the NSF tyre was replaced so I had a new one on the NSF and the part worn original on the OSF (both Dunlops) - I thought it had Monte syndrome!  Hastily had the winter tyres fitted for my return to Germany yesterday and it doesn't pull although I wouldn't recommend the Sunny Snowmasters (it was all the could get at short notice) - not a patch on the Nexens.  Noisy, tramline, and don't inspire confidence although they are doing the job so far (no snow encountered yet).  Not dangerous, but I wouldn't fit them from choice.

Before anyone asks, I've no idea how much the repair cost was, but obviously below the write-off cost.

Some items I noted from the handover sheet:

Wheel Alignment was done twice - and still needed a third tweak as I took it back to see about the pull to the left (which turned out to be the new tyre).

Parts included a new wheel bearing, strut and wishbone as well as the bodywork parts (and it appears that the wishbone is vRS specific according to the sticker that it still on it?).

In short it did the trip back to Germany yesterday (600 miles in 10 hours, door to door including Eurotunnel) but I did spot something odd with the headlamps but I'll make that another post..

Oh, Oh,  just had a front ender this afternoon..

needing 2 new wings, bonnet and front.   No mechanical damage.

An incident with a Delivery Driver moving cars to the Auction or Long Term Parking area.

He was not going slowly, but i stopped quick enough and he nearly did.

English not the first language, no ID or Licence or proof of anything, No Tax Disc Displayed on the vehicle, Company Rep arrived,

English not the first language, no Insurance Information exchanged just a Company Name, & it turns out another company owns the vehicle.

Obviously i think he was in the wrong. 

Pictures of damage later, not home yet.

george

Oh, Oh,  just had a front ender this afternoon..

needing 2 new wings, bonnet and front.   No mechanical damage.

An incident with a Delivery Driver moving cars to the Auction or Long Term Parking area.

He was not going slowly, but i stopped quick enough and he nearly did.

English not the first language, no ID or Licence or proof of anything, No Tax Disc Displayed on the vehicle, Company Rep arrived,

English not the first language, no Insurance Information exchanged just a Company Name, & it turns out another company owns the vehicle.

Obviously i think he was in the wrong. 

Pictures of damage later, not home yet.

george

Nightmare! Foreign driver and no documents etc could be tricky to sort out. Hope you get a good result!

Parts ordered and fixed this weekend hopefully.

My Insurance is all sorted.

Professional Driver Company, No ID,. No Licences, No Company Cards, No Contact, no understand the need to look where they are going,

but the car 'Company Group Insured'  it seems, No Tax Disc Displayed on the way to be Sold.

Roads on open to the Public but part of an Airport Boundary & Long Term Parking. Road Between Car Auction & Storage on a Disused Runway.

george

I know it looks like i dove into him, & not good for me, but i will still put up the pictures.

i was doing about 20 MPH slowing down ready to go around the huge roundabout to exit, thats to my right,

following the road,

& knew he was there and driving like the White Subaru is doing going up the road,

But he was not so far into the side like the Subaru is,

thats when he turned right across me.

I was stopping OK in time not to collide,but he kept right into me. I had lights on, not speeding, Clearly saw him.

no idea if he decided to change routes and just never spotted me, that looks like were he was intending going,

maybe he was on the phone or radio being given a parking location to head to.

Then he moved back a bit, and i moved back a few yards.