Skoda Octavia II 2.0 TDI VRS Running & Starting problem

Hi all,

Apologies if I've not used this site properly as I've never had cause but only to follow the conversations happening on this forum.

My problem? I got ripped off from guess where - eBay! I bought a 2007 57 Octavia 2 TDi VRS reportedly chipped to 200BHP but when I went to collect the car after paying a deposit the owner refused to cancel the sale but I subsequently found out:

• The clutch had gone so installed a brand new DMF and clutch - that itself is fantastic and the clutch is so light and easy!
  • The car was a rubbish starter so set about sorting that (I didn't pay a lot for the car but it has cost a BIT more since shall we say!). Since getting the car I've changed the injector wiring loom, the clutch master cylinder (with the clutch) the fuel filter, a pipe was cracked that goes between the throttle body and turbo (stainless steel?) and so on but the car is massively lazy to start and when starts is sometimes a GREAT runner but most often runs really lumpy particularly at 1500 revs with a noticeable stutter or 'misfire'. The car has been into the garage for three weeks but they cannot find a fault having checked EVERY connection and pipe and so now I'm really struggling to get anywhere with it - I'm looking for any feedback as to what to do next (it had 4 new injectors from Skoda confirmed only 20000 miles ago) as I've had enough and want to sell the car but would prefer to sell it on not as a repair but a fully working car!
  • Anyone in Oxford area brave enough to give it a go for me?

I'm also looking for a front offside wing in black - can anyone point me in the right direction as this one is dented and would like to replace it?

• 4 weeks later...

I've got a virtually identical car to yours, also in black and 57 plate, with the EML light on and a fault code showing a problem with glow plug 4. I've had all the same things done that you have, including the injectors and loom, and also had the full set of glow plugs changed twice. Car runs well above 1500 revs but like yours, if you try to drive in a high gear between 1000-1500 revs it doesn't like it. Previous diesels were fine with this so it's odd. Sometimes idles slightly lumpy as well. Have you had any success in fixing it? We are thinking the same thing about repairing and/or selling the car.

We also had to have the clutch/flywheel replaced soon after buying, all 4 tyres and the brake discs/pads, so not the cheapest year's motoring so far!

Ken,

Have you cleaned the EGR valve & turbo. These are two well known problem areas on the PD engine. Also have you scanned it with VCDS.

EDIT - I Just read another thread which reminded me of another issue. Have you had a look at the state of the camshaft, these are also well known to wear significantly if the wrong grade of oil has been used throughout the life of the engine.

Edited by radders567

Hi Radders, I see where you're coming from and it does feel a bit like driving a car with those 'lumpy' race cams but not quite that severe. It wouldn't explain the EML/ glow plug issue though would it?

I looked at a car (Bora 150 PD) a while back that brought EML on. When I read the codes it came back with a problem on number 3 glow plug. I took the top off and had a look and found the cam to be severely worn. 

I would probably start by having fault codes read, then move on to EGR clean, Then onto turbo clean. Then check the camshaft.

As an after thought, when was the last oil + filter change, fuel filter, air filter etc.

Sounds similar to the issues my 2007 VRS had, I set about taking off the Antishudder valve and EGR and cleaned them to within an inch of their lives with carb cleaner and tooth picks etc.. (if you do this wear goggles as i nearly blinded myself when the stuff flicked off the toothbrush I was using into my eye, also wear gloves!!) 

I also changed the ERG gasket for the smaller one from a seat ibiza ( there is an article on here somewhere about both of these )  If i get a chance I will post pictures of the work as it can be a pain to get at one of the bolts holding on the EGR valve, easy once you know how but a bugger if no one tells you!!!

Def get a full VCDS scan though, always worth having and generic code readers dont tell you all of the errors as they cannot read all of the parameters stored by the car.

Edited by Dread1977

Sounds similar to the issues my 2007 VRS had, I set about taking off the Antishudder valve and EGR and cleaned them to within an inch of their lives with carb cleaner and tooth picks etc.. (if you do this wear goggles as i nearly blinded myself when the stuff flicked off the toothbrush I was using into my eye, also wear gloves!!) 

I also changed the ERG gasket for the smaller one from a seat ibiza ( there is an article on here somewhere about both of these )  If i get a chance I will post pictures of the work as it can be a pain to get at one of the bolts holding on the EGR valve, easy once you know how but a bugger if no one tells you!!!

Def get a full VCDS scan though, always worth having and generic code readers dont tell you all of the errors as they cannot read all of the parameters stored by the car.

Good advice. When cleaning the EGR I sometimes use an oven cleaner, leave it on for a while and the just clean with a tooth brush until sparkling. Much cheaper than the EGR specific stuff. Its ok to use so long as it can be rinsed off afterwards. I just make sure its thoroughly dry before I refit it.