My first Skoda Fabia, HELP!

Hi guys! just got my first Skoda Fabia 1.6 TDI! its a 2011 reg with 39,000 miles on it with one previous owner, has 4 service stamps in it, 10,000 mile between each service and looks like a nice car!

Was just wondering if there is any common faults i may need to look out for?

seeing as there is still 5 months left of the manufactures warranty i would like to pick up on any problems before that is up?

i know the mileage is a little high but it has been serviced every 10,000 miles,

so if there anything to look out for?

so for all that i'v noticed is that theres a bit of a growl when i push the clutch in fully and the biting point on the car seems to be a little high? is this normal for Skoda Fabia's?

Look forward to hearing from you all!

Can upload some pic's of it if you like :)

Btw, it the 105bhp, elegance trim i have,

Cheers, Nahan.

Mine has done 36000 miles and has given me no trouble. Plenty of fuel consumption threads on here about how to get the best out of your car.

Not sure about the clutch issues. Is the car under warranty?

Edited by threadbear

Welcome to the forum and to Skoda ownership - especially 1.6 CR TDI 105bhp... ;-)

Just be careful - it's 12 months (ish - I think George can tell you - more like 375 days) or 9500 miles (ish), whichever sooner.  The lower mileage is because it's a translation from 12000km (or whatever the figure is), not 10,000 miles.  It can also be switched to variable, which depending on your mileage and driving might be better for you. 

Things to look out for are the regen issues (ensure you have a good run once a fortnight or so, getting it up to temperature (blue light goes off on the dash) and for a good 30 miles or so, at a reasonable speed (say 50mph, varying speed and revs).  This will ensure that the DPF regenerates.  Lots of short journeys may see the DPF "clog".

The only other things I have seen people mention (and has happened to me in the Monte) are:

-   the engine warning light coming on (the glow plug light flashes) and the manual says "Go to Dealer, do not pass Go".  My fault cleared as soon as I switched off and restarted hasn't reappeared in the last 6 months.

-  Water ingress in the back.  I suspect my kids may not have shut the windows properly and I missed it.  Others have complained about rear electric windows dropping slightly (less than the convenience function of holding down the unlock button) and letting in water.  I have SEEN this on a parked skoda, almost as if the owner had left a dog in the car and dropped the rear window by 10-15mm.

-  The convenience function - press and hold unlock and your electric windows drop (like all VAG products).  Press and hold lock and they will all close.  Do it by accident and you unlock the door (or doors, if you don't have the stadard one plip for driver's door, two for all set) and drop the windows and walk away from your open car...

-  Locking - if you leave a dog or kids or spiders in the car, you can press the alarm movement sensor disable button (on the drivers door - square button, down by the door bin), or press the lock button twice (I think, check the manual) to disable the movement sensors and keep the rest of the alarm active.  I never leave my kids in the car., before someone rings childline, but the dog has had a 5 minute timeout at the petrol station before...

-  No rear interior light and poor boot interior light.  It hasn't bothered me, but some on here must try to do jigsaw puzzles at midnight and need a reading lamp, so there are threads about improving/installing better lights.

Phew.  I'm spent...

thanks for the reply's you two!

fuel consumption is good, averaged out at 71.5mpg on my first trip to work today!

yes the car is still under manufactures warranty, will it cover clutch's? its just as soon as I put my foot on the clutch it get louder all of a sudden and the biting point is rather high! HELP!

also I travel 60 miles per day for work so hopefully I wont get any problem off the DPF,

but the clutch issue is really annoying!

also iv noticed the ignition doesn't turn and click it just like all 1 rather stiff movement?

plus is the car meant to make that awkward little beeping noise when I lock it up?

one last thing that annoys me.. when I turn the engine off and remove the keys for the ignition the car make a noise like somebody is scuffling there feet! why is this!?!?!?

help please guys...

Thanks, Nathan

Welcome to Briskoda and happy new motor.

39k on a diesel is just about run in! Better 39k than 9k at that age - at least it has had some running to keep the innards clean.

Look out for the light in the glovebox not switching off.  First sign is the floor of the upper glovebox just above the light gets VERY hot.  I've cured mine temporarily by taking the bulb out.  Will get it fixed at the first service.

Clutch probably isn't covered, but get it checked - it might need adjusting, they'd claim it's a wear and tear item (I expect).

Shuffling feet noise might be any number of pumps doing the engine shut down thing - mine does it occasionally.

The beep when you lock it is set by the Maxi-dot functions, or if it hasn't got it, someone asked the dealer to set it.  Beeping on locking, allowing all doors to unlock, not just driver's door on unlock plip, a load of other functions can be accessed on maxi-dot options, or if not maxi-dot, VCDS (there is a list on the site somewhere about who has VCDS and where they are) or by the dealer on request.

The stiff to turn the key thing sounds weird - I have definitely got the clicks at each point.  Again, maybe something is not quite right, get a dealer to peek (unless someone on here has the answer - normally they do).

its a great car i really like it,

the clutch does get quiter whens its been warmed up when i press my foot on it,

biting points seems a little high for its age though,

could this be because it is a dual mass fly wheel? i work for a turbo charger recondition company and my boss use to recondition clutchs and he says with a single mass flywheel you biting point is more aless instant when you raise you foot on the clutch sligtly and a dual mass will be alot higher?

that is if mine is a dual mass fly wheel!?!?!?!?

when i am driving along and i go to change gear i will take my foot off the accelerator and when i dip my clutch in you can hear like a hollow vibration noise? only ever so slightly, some times it does it some times it doesnt!?!?!?!?

also the aux port keeps disconneting its self when im listening to music on my phone and goes straight to the radio, anyone else had this?

yeah the last thing that boths me is when i shut my engine down, ill turn it off and about 3 seconds afterward it sounds like someone is shuffling there feet! it does about 4 shuffles and it does it every time!

please help me guys!

should i be worried and go to my car dealer or is it just me being paranoid?

cheers guys.

This is 'on topic' just about (I think). I'm about to part ex my mk 1 Fabia for a mk 2 (yet to pick, but it will be a 1.6 TDi Elegance). I do plenty of miles so a low mileage one will be preferred. Any significant changes/improvements between 2011 and 2013? I was going to ask what to check for when looking, but that's already been covered (thanks!)