space saver spare wheel for roomster

skodacol

Hi , I am about to sell my wifes Seat Ibiza , 2010 model and wonder if the spare wheel would be suitable for my 2012 Roomster  1.2tsi. At present I only have the inflation kit with sealant and have thougt of swapping this for the Seat spacesaver and jack. Do you think this would be ok or should I stick with the sealant kit?

A Roomster will take a full size spare, I wouldn't buy a car unless it did.  It's all very well having a spare which is good for 50 miles at 50mph but what happens if you get a puncture at 9pm when you're 150 miles from home.  That's likely to be a hotel job.

The Seat wheel and tyre probably will fit, give it a try!

Sorry Skodacol, I do not know if the spare from your wife's Ibiza will suit your Roomster, but you may wish to hear of my experience with alternative spare wheels:

My Scout has standard "Scout" alloy wheels and standard 205x45 R16 tyres.  When I bought the car in September 2009, I specified the optional spare wheel in place of the goo can.  The optional spare wheel for the Scout was a steel "space saver" 6Jx15 with 195x55 R15 tyre and a yellow 50MPH sticker.

Following the exact experience described by Keystonedriving, I purchased an additional "Scout" alloy wheel and 205x45 R16 tyre, such that my new spare wheel would be identical to the other four wheels on my car and hence not restricted to 50MPH.

Ever the cautious one, I mentioned this to my insurance company at renewal time.  The company told me that, since Skoda had not listed a full-size spare wheel as an official accessory for my Scout, it considered mine a "modification" to the vehicle of which it needed to be aware.

One always hopes common sense will prevail in any circumstances, but apparently not with some insurance companies.