DEPO projector headlights misting up

Ryanfsr

When fitting xenons to my cars over the years i have drilled holes in the back of the covers and fitted everything in place, once i was happy with the fitting and made sure it all works i put loads of sealant around the cables where they go through the covers

Fitted them back in today, keeping my fingers crossed and all that regarding the misting.

Just been out to have a look, and low and behold..... they've misted up! :(

Not only that, but parking up against the white garage door the left headlight beam "cut off" is yellow, whilst the right hand side is blue; similar issue I believe you had Metty92?

Yep same as mine and dans. Has that been like it since you had the lamps?

I haven't really paid much attention to mine, really CBA with the hassle!

My side lights have gone and because of the wires it's a headlight out job just to change them!

It wasn't like that on the first set of headlights I had, but this new pair WMM have sent me are definitely producing some funky coloured light outputs!

I haven't really paid much attention to mine, really CBA with the hassle!

My side lights have gone and because of the wires it's a headlight out job just to change them!

Is that because of the hid kit you need to remove the headlights?

Was gonna say I did mine without removing anything just a pair of longnose pliers for the passenger sidelight bulb

Is that because of the hid kit you need to remove the headlights?

Was gonna say I did mine without removing anything just a pair of longnose pliers for the passenger sidelight bulb

Yeh mate the wires were in the way!

Luckily I was taking the battery tray out today to check my power steering fluid level and swapped them over then :)

• 2 weeks later...

I fitted my headlamp covers with wires coming through neoprene with silicone so they were completely sealed, had them inside till they dried out however they are misting up again really badly. Could it be the headlamp join?

Could it be the headlamp join?

Funny you say that. With my previous set of headlights I had I did notice this....

20131028_192152_zps11faa70a.jpg

It's not necessarily to say there's an open gap there because the clear part of the lens does cover that portion of the headlight, however it did make me look closer at the seal.

Some parts of the headlight you can see the excess black sealant used, other parts you can't. So just to be on the safe side I mixed up some 5 min epoxy and ran it round the join.

Unfortunatly didn't really get to test for misting issues on this headlight set though due to the rainbow effect beam pattern, but should be receiving my replacement set either today or tomorrow so i'll be checking these aswell...... the technicians at wingmirrowman have apparantly tested this new set aswell for correct beam pattern, so keeping my fingers crossed!

Yeah i may run some black silicone round the join on both of them just to rule that out. 

What was wrong with your beam pattern?

I recieved new lamp this evening, fitted it and they are now both the same colour. However the new lamp has quite a flat beam, but the LHD one is very mountainy! What should be right? And is there any way of adjusting the pattern? 

It was more the colour of the light than the beam pattern itself. Passenger side produced lovely rainbow colours, whilst the drivers side produced a very vivid blue!

Have to say I didn't really take much note of the actual beam pattern, but I don't remember seeing anything as extreme as you mention. The beam cut-off is produced from the metal shield inside the projector lens, so have you checked to see if that's all intact and in place?

My replacement headlights won't be here now til after Xmas, so no Xenon's for me until after then :(

Apparently they were dispatched to me last week, but for some reason rather than being posted to me in Northampton, they somehow ended up in Wales.... 

They were then sent from Wales back to Wingmirrorman, and when the guys at Wingmirrorman opened the box they were completely smashed to pieces!

They've now got no stock of the 'black insert' until after Xmas, so just a heads up for anyone who's looking to buy some in the near future.

Colour of the beam as a whole = quality of ballast/wiring and very much the age and colour temperature of the bulb. As they age they get whiter.

Then there's material used for the cutoff shield or used to "highlight" the shield. Leading to funky rainbow effects in different colours along the cutoff - or dipped beam threshold. Then there's painting the cutoff shield create an effect whilst the lights are not on.... Also can have some effect when they're on as obviously, gloss effects will create back scatter through the projector.

Hidplanet and theretrofitsource are most(ly) excellent websites if you've the inclination to start tinkering with projectors and headlights in general. :)

J.

My replacement headlights won't be here now til after Xmas, so no Xenon's for me until after then  :(

Apparently they were dispatched to me last week, but for some reason rather than being posted to me in Northampton, they somehow ended up in Wales.... 

They were then sent from Wales back to Wingmirrorman, and when the guys at Wingmirrorman opened the box they were completely smashed to pieces!

They've now got no stock of the 'black insert' until after Xmas, so just a heads up for anyone who's looking to buy some in the near future.

Bloody hell! Doesn't sound good news but hopefully the wait will be worth it. Feel like i've had endless problems with mine lol

Colour of the beam as a whole = quality of ballast/wiring and very much the age and colour temperature of the bulb. As they age they get whiter.

Then there's material used for the cutoff shield or used to "highlight" the shield. Leading to funky rainbow effects in different colours along the cutoff - or dipped beam threshold. Then there's painting the cutoff shield create an effect whilst the lights are not on.... Also can have some effect when they're on as obviously, gloss effects will create back scatter through the projector.

Hidplanet and theretrofitsource are most(ly) excellent websites if you've the inclination to start tinkering with projectors and headlights in general. :)

J.

The light colour is perfect now, nice white beam with the blue/purple cut off at the top, looks really funky! Just having a problem with an awful beam pattern on one side which would be nice to level out.

I don't really want to be messing around with the projectors now i've got rid of the horrible yellow cut off on one side

Bloody hell! Doesn't sound good news but hopefully the wait will be worth it. Feel like i've had endless problems with mine lol

The light colour is perfect now, nice white beam with the blue/purple cut off at the top, looks really funky! Just having a problem with an awful beam pattern on one side which would be nice to level out.

I don't really want to be messing around with the projectors now i've got rid of the horrible yellow cut off on one side

Not even for bi-xenons? :)