Insuring new car

fastestlouigie

'Just thought I'd relay my experiences of renewing cover for my new Yeti SE Plus following my 7 day free insurance running out tonight. My usual insurer Direct Line was quoting around £30 a year more than the cheapest policies that came up via a few comparison websites. I thought that I would get a quote from Skoda Insurance. This was £60 more than Direct Line but they would cover the £45 cancellation fee that Direct Line were charging and none of the other companies would cover this charge. So I went with the Skoda Insurance. The reason I went for it? If the car being insured is brand new (1st registered owner of the vehicle), Skoda Insurance will replace with a new car if it is written off within the first year. So effectively, this is Gap insurance that lasts for 1 year for £60 (above the cost of my usual insurer). All the other policies would only give the "market value" of the car at the time of the accident.

I expect you may be able to buy Gap insurance online cheaper than the dealers offer it at but I couldn't be faffed to look any more and having something provided that has Skoda with it's name to it is reassuring.

Most insurance companies will replace the car for a new vehicle within the first year of a policy, providing you are the first registered keeper of the car. So would not apply to pre-reg cars etc.

• Like 1