Oil surge related to Boost?

Driving rather spiritedly this morning (read hard ;)) i experienced what i can only put down as oil surge.

I used to get this in the Integra, whereby the oil would surge to one side, hence showing "low oil" (but not in reality) and the car would drop out of VTEC. If the oil pressure wasn't there, the car wouldn't go into VTEC, hence people fit baffled sumps.

So, i went round a rather large r'bout and had huge loss of boost. i had the boost controller turned up to max, and tried again - little boost. Note : not NO boost - just not as much as there should be.

I then let the car settle, drove reasonably normally the rest of the way boosting it later on, and it seemed to have come back.

does my thinking sound right, and is the Octys boost dependant on oil pressure like the Teg was?

If not, what else may have caused my lack of boost?

Any help appreciated ;)

lo Manguish

Ive never heard of boost pressure being affected by oil pressure, but I know of the same problem you describe with the VTECs.

In the days I had my Impreza, a mate suffered badly from oil surge on the track and the baffled sump cured it. This didnt though at any point affect performance - there was no retardation by the ECU. It is of course a dangerous situation to be in (particularly with the flat four, many No3 pistons have turned their toes up due to it).

IMO, its much more likely to be fuel surge. Ive only ever heard of it on the track and Im suprised you got it on the road but I assume you were giving it sufficient beans at the time. Id be interested to hear where the pump sits in the tank and in which direction you were going, its totally plausable that the resulting G force would uncover the pump leading to surge, which definately would result in the ECU pulling back.

Hope you get it sorted

Rich

If it happens again check the temperature gauge, I had similar symptoms when the water pump failed. The tell tale in my case was that prolonged boosting put the temperature gauge into the red and then there was no boost until the temperature came back down to 90.