Superb Elegance 4 x4 electrical probles

I bought a new Superb 4 X 4 in March with a number of extras - electric heated seats,park assist, auto gear box. All was well for the first few weeks then the passenger wing mirror which tilts down when reversing started to stick and then randomly move. I took it back to the dealers who couldn't replicate the problem but they changed the switch control. Within days, the problem had started again with a new one - the electric seat settings did not respond and required manual re setting. Back to the dealers who had the car for number of days and a service engineer told me there was a serious problem and they were waiting to here back from Skoda. Then told a new motor needed to be fitted as wing mirror and seat electrics were all linked. Relieved that they had found the problem - not easy getting there as 100 mile round trip,

My husband picked up the car and the mirror moved once and is now in the one position - doesn't tilt on reversing and again electric seats not responding to different settings when drivers change

Anyone had similar problems? Am really concerned that at 7 months old such an expensive purchase is failing to perform - not even sure what I can do. Be grateful for any advice, ISSY,

Hard to say conclusively but it sounds like all your settings have been reset, so you'll need to have the car re-learn them.  

Off the top of my head, start with the mirror home position, then mirror in reverse, then the seat, then the key.

Mirror home:

- Ignition on, engine not running, car in park or neutral.

- Move the mirrors into the position you want it while driving.  When you're done adjusting L and R, put the switch back into wherever the passenger is (i.e. for LHD put the switch in R, for RHD put the switch in L)

Mirror reverse:

- Engine running, drivers door shut, car in P or N, mirror switch in the passenger's position.

- Put car in Reverse, then adjust the mirror to the position you want it  when you reverse.

- Leaving the engine on, put the car back into P or N then turn the engine off.

- Press SET on the seat and then hold in the memory button (1, 2 or 3) you want to remember the mirror setting at until the dash goes "BING"

- Remove the key (if you don't have KESSY) then open the drivers door and press "unlock" within 10 seconds.  The indicators (all 4 of them) flash twice.

Seat position:

- Ignition on, but engine off, drivers door shut.

- Move the drivers seat to the position you want for driving.

- Press SET on the seat, then hold in the memory button (1,2 or 3) you want to remember the seat at until the dash goes "BING"\

- Ignition off.

- Remove the key (if you don't have KESSY) then open the drivers door and press "unlock" within 10 seconds.  All 4 indicators flash

Random notes:

- I find that saving a new seat position to a seat memory location doesn't seem to update the key memory.  I can adjust my seat and save it to memory 1, but if I get out of the car, lock then unlock the seat goes back to where it was set last time I performed the 'key memory dance'.  I can hold down memory 1 and the seat moves to where I most recently saved it.  So when I finally found a position I liked I did the whole thing: Save to 1, ign off, open door, press unlock.  That solved the problem.  This also applies to mirrors.

- Depending on the version of all the bits and bobs in your car, you may have a feature called personalisation.  This means that you can have different settings on each key of your car.  These settings include mirror positions, drivers seat position, what is displayed in the MFD, most of the stuff under convenience, does the alarm chirp on unlock or not and if you dilute your scotch with ice.  So if you have two drivers, perform the above list for each driver with the OTHER key far far away.

- The mirror dip on reverse can get confused if you go P - R - P - R or D - R - D - R (or the manual gearbox equivalent).  If, say, you're reverse parking in a tight spot.  It might get stuck halfway between dipped and normal.  Rest assured when you hit 15 km/hr it will move back to the home position.

- The position of the mirror is actually measured by two potentiometers, one for up/down and one for left/right.  It's a bit of a vague method of measuring when compared to say, an opto-interrupter.  This means that the saved home and dipped positions are not perfectly reached each time, it might go a few degrees each way.  Given the enormous size of the mirrors on the Superb this doesn't pose any practical problem.  

• Like 1

Don't know if it will help but I've disabled the 'personalisation to key' feature as we both drive the car but use the same key.  She would move seats and mirrors to Pos 2 to go to golf (SLK boot not big enough).  I would then get in and move everything back to Pos 1.  Get out and lock car, come back and unlock car and everything back to Pos 2 and can't get in as she's 5'5" and I'm 6'4".

P