DSG reversing advise

I have heard a lot of things said that the DSG is a problem to reverse slowly up hill.

When I get my Elegance I will be parking on my drive where I currently reverse up a slope slowly and out, where I park at work is also on a small down hill slope and I reverse out. 

I also usually leave my manual Fabia in reverse, it will feel a bit strange leaving the Octavia in park, what happens if the hand break fails?

I have heard a lot of things said that the DSG is a problem to reverse slowly up hill.

When I get my Elegance I will be parking on my drive where I currently reverse up a slope slowly and out, where I park at work is also on a small down hill slope and I reverse out.

I also usually leave my manual Fabia in reverse, it will feel a bit strange leaving the Octavia in park, what happens if the hand break fails?

I was worried about this as we've just taken delivery of our first DSG and we have to reverse up an incline to get in our garage.

Long story short, no problems, it works very well and no complaints from us! :-)

P

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

A friend of mine has a very steep drive that is about 3½ car lengths long.  I have no problems with the 6-speed DSG going up it in forward or reverse.

However, I have noticed that if I don't use the car for a few days and then need to start off in reverse (depends how I have parked the car on my level drive) there is sometimes a delay between applying the throttle and the car actually starting to move.  Doesn't happen if I start off in the forward direction.

A friend of mine has a very steep drive that is about 3½ car lengths long.  I have no problems with the 6-speed DSG going up it in forward or reverse.

However, I have noticed that if I don't use the car for a few days and then need to start off in reverse (depends how I have parked the car on my level drive) there is sometimes a delay between applying the throttle and the car actually starting to move.  Doesn't happen if I start off in the forward direction.

I think it comes down to how hard you apply the brake (thus the clutch) and how fast you are switching to the selected drive. I find the lack from reverse to drive quite often, when reversing you of my drive way and then lightly touching the brakes to a stand still and then changing to foward driving. The lack it 1-2 seconds or so.

No problem at all for me reversing off our steepish drive.

Surely the handbrake is there to assist in very steep conditions, as you might with a manual hill start?

philbes, on 12 Nov 2013 - 09:55, said:snapback.png

RickGroove:

I think it comes down to how hard you apply the brake (thus the clutch) and how fast you are switching to the selected drive. I find the lack from reverse to drive quite often, when reversing you of my drive way and then lightly touching the brakes to a stand still and then changing to forward driving. The lack it 1-2 seconds or so.

I understand what you are saying but it does not apply to the circumstance that I am trying to describe.  I am talking about reversing the car as soon as engine is started after car has been left standing for a few days.  So straight from Park to Reverse.

Hi I use to reverse my caravan from the bottom of the road to the top of my drive! total of around 200mts. the last 15mts was a steep incline onto the drive! pain in the neck with a manual but a dodle with the DSG box.

Ditto the above comments. I have the DSG7 and reverse into an uphill drive. DSG is terrific but in this situation, if you want to edge up to another car slowly, you can sense its limitations. I have no complaints about 'take off' or the lightening-fast DSG gear changes but in this situation you have to remember that you do not have a torque converter (or its inefficiency) but a clutch. If you edge close to a car when reversing you may instinctively feather the break pedal but this can cause the car to dip the clutch rather suddenly and gravity then works against you. All you have to do is use the hand break on those rare occasions. It is not a problem and you will love DSG, I am sure. If you do need to edge any closer, rather than hop from break to accelerator, use the hand break; you will feel the car begin to slip the clutch when you lift off the break pedal and then you get gradual power as soon as you touch the accelerator and you can ease off the hand break. Sorry if this is stating the obvious but I assume you have not taken delivery of your DSG. I am sure you will enjoy it. Andy.

• Like 1

Sorry to nitpick, but I am rather worried about these cars which have so many "breaks".  I'm sure brakes would be much more useful!

Seems to be a common spelling mistake on just about every motoring forum I visit.

Thanks again for the comments very helpful and useful, all too often you her people saying reversing an auto can be a bit tricky.

I have had the car just over 48 hours and have to say the DSG is brilliant, no problems at work or at home with reversing.

All I need to do now is get used to the size of the car, the new Octavia estate is massive compared to the Fabia estate.